Quick Cycle question

ashleenc716

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm relatively new to this site, and hoping to be an axolotl mama in the near future.
I have my tank up and running, it's been just about a month. My ammonia had spiked, then I noticed I had nitrites and nitrates. My ammonia has gone back down to 0 but I still have nitrites that are off my color chart, it's darker than the 10.0ppm. My nitrates are sitting at about 40ppm the last week or so.
My question is: What do I do now?

Do I wait for these nitrates and nitrites to deplete themselves?
Do I do a water change or so to bring them down?

Also, I haven't found any information on what the alkalinity(KH) of the tank should be at. Mine was at about 80ppm but is now sitting at 0.

Thanks in advance!

Also, I wasn't sure if I should have posted this under a related thread or not, so sorry if I should've done that instead.

You now want to do a 30% water change to lower your nitrates, your nitrites should continue to convert into nitrates. Nitrates are the final out of of the cycle, nitrates can only be removed via water changes every week or so or when they get above 40ppm. Keep feeding your tank a source of ammonia to keep feeding the bacteria.

Ammonia converts into Nitrite, Nitrite converts into NitrAtes.

Once you start seeing an increase of NitrAtes you know that the beneficial bacteria exists to complete a full converstion (cycle) of Ammonia > Nitrites > NitrAtes

Eventually you will have enough beneficial bacteria to continuously convert Ammonia and Nitrite, leaving you with only NitrAtes which you can keep below 40ppm by performing 30% water changes every week or two.

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed to know and more! I'll get right on that. Thank you tremendously!

Okay, so my nitrates are at a safe level but my nitrites are still higher than they should be. Do I wait for them to convert to nitrate then and then water change the nitrate to a safe level, or should I be more proactive in the depletion of nitrites? I wish they had different names so it didn't sound so confusing lol

You don't have an axolotl (or fish) in the tank yet, right? If so, just wait. Keep "feeding" ammonia, and eventually the nitrite eating bacteria will take hold and the nitrites will vanish too. Then you will want to do a big water change to get the nitrates back down under 40 ppm.

If you do have an axolotl or fish in there, do a big enough water change to get the nitrites down to a safe level.

in addition to regular water changes, live plants are a good way to keep nitrates in your tank low. try a marimo moss ball or two.

alkalinity should be relatively high. that is, ph should be between 7.2 and 7.6. alkalinity means basicity, and basic means ph > 7. purchase some aquarium salt and start with the recommended dose on the package.

Okay, thank you both!
I'm very new to this and want to make sure everything is done accurately, but it's difficult to find the information I need, and from people who actually know from experience rather than just what they've read. No axolotls yet, I don't want to put any at risk.
I have one marimo ball in the tank currently, it was pretty difficult to find one too. It has a brown spot on it that I've been trying to direct towards the little light that comes in.
The alkalinity is fine, but it's the Total Alkalinity level that's measured KH ppm. I guess it's considered the buffering capacity, not so much the acidity or alkalinity. It determines the ability to maintain a constant pH in the tank. My alkalinity hasn't changed at all really, so I wasn't sure the "bufferin capacity" level was worth worrying over so long as it's at the right alkaline level for the axolotls. I hope that makes sense, but thank you both very much for the information I was looking for!

Axolotls are very tolerant of water conditions and do fine in most water supplies. I'm not following your KH discussion (must be morning), but as long as there is enough buffering capacity to keep the pH relatively stable, you don't need to do anything.

I'm very glad you are cycling before you get your axolotl. :happy:

Okay, thank you both!
I'm very new to this and want to make sure everything is done accurately, but it's difficult to find the information I need, and from people who actually know from experience rather than just what they've read. No axolotls yet, I don't want to put any at risk.
I have one marimo ball in the tank currently, it was pretty difficult to find one too. It has a brown spot on it that I've been trying to direct towards the little light that comes in.
The alkalinity is fine, but it's the Total Alkalinity level that's measured KH ppm. I guess it's considered the buffering capacity, not so much the acidity or alkalinity. It determines the ability to maintain a constant pH in the tank. My alkalinity hasn't changed at all really, so I wasn't sure the "bufferin capacity" level was worth worrying over so long as it's at the right alkaline level for the axolotls. I hope that makes sense, but thank you both very much for the information I was looking for!

KH ppm is not the only measure of alkalinity. KH is an alkaline compound, potassium hydride. KH is sold as a pH increaser for aquariums because of its basicity and high reactivity. It may be fine for fish, but I wouldn't use it for axolotls.

Again, alkalinity just means basicity, and basic means pH > 7. Dissolved salts will also increase your pH. Axolotls benefit from slightly saline water, so use that increase your pH. Don't measure alkalinity in KH ppm, just use the pH.

Don't worry about buffers. Once your tank is cycled and has the beneficial bacteria and some plants living in there, your pH should remain pretty constant. Just make sure to manually clean out feces and do regular water changes with treated water.

Thank you, I'm so in love with the idea of having axolotls that I want to make sure it's done the right way. I'm a little nervous because I've never owned any but I'm so beyond hopeful to have them. I'm glad I found this site because it's the only one I found that has given me the confidence of having the right information.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back