Good floating plants

Nachtmare

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Display Name
Trenton
Hello everyone! I am looking for some good floating plants to use in my tank and also help provide some shade to my dear axies.

I don't have a lot of light going to the tank but if I needed to I could. My problem is I want a tank full of plants but as of now the light will shine to the bottom. But with a layer of floating plants I'm hoping it will help block light and seem more realistic.

Thanks

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Duckweed, water lettuce, and elodea are all good options. Duckweed spreads like crazy and many consider it a nuisance as it can spread to other tanks, and will stick you your arm if you hand feed or something, but i think it looks fantastic once it starts to cover most the water surface. Water lettuce looks great, and the roots will shoot down into the water, providing extra planted areas. Elodea is a stem plant that can be planted or floating, and grows easily, but doesn't look as nice in my opinion. Once the tops start to grow toward the light source it looks pretty cool, though.
You could also try more than one at a time if you wanted.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back