Hello from Alberta

LawnFlamingo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello everyone!

My name is Amy I am a 23 year old female from the Edmonton area who is new to the caudata scene. I have owned all sorts of animals all my life, currently I have a dog, several cats, a parrot, fish and even a horse.

I have always had an interest in salamanders and since I was young I would always catch the tiger salamanders in my back yard and keep my new "pet" in a bucket until my dad felt sorry for the poor creature and release it, unfortunately for my sister that was after I chased her around a bit with it.

Thankfully, I have matured (which is debatable) and I have decided to acquire my first Axolotl. Ideally I would like to have my own within the next 6 months; however, I am not in any rush and don't want to jump into the hobby without being thoroughly educated.

I've included a few photos to get a better idea of who I am. The first photo is of my horse who is a 20 year old off the track Thoroughbred named Rooney, he is my absolute pride and joy. Next, is my 55 gallon fish tank that currently houses two comets and a koi **Please note that my axolotl will NOT be housed in that tank**. Finally, we have my 4 year old German Shepherd/ Siberian Husky cross dog named Lily.

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 133
  • thumb_IMG_9202_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_9202_1024.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 124
  • thumb_IMG_0091_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0091_1024.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 127
Awesome photos ! I'm new to this site as well but everyone has been helpful so far

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back