Hi from New Jersey, with a few questions

shoeboxlid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, im a newbie from New Jersey, aaand I have a few questions. To start, im interested in keeping fire bellied newts, or maybe salamanders (ill explain that later). So

1. I only just learned about the ban, AFTER I had set up my tank. I was wondering if there are any breeders in New Jersey that breed fire bellied newts (chinese or japanese, im okay with either).

2. Is this tank okay for fire bellied newts? Im adding a lot more plants, I just have to get them first (and im waiting to cycle it until I get everything I need in). Is there anything else I can add to make it a better tank? I feel like its missing a lot of things, but maybe it just feels like that because i dont have plants in yet. (im also changing the light, I just havent gotten it yet.) ALSO i have a turtle dock its just not in yet. I wanna make it the best i can ^u^
shoeboxlid-albums-fbn-tank-picture38224-newt-tank.jpg

If i cant find a breeder, Im going to go a reptile convention (even though they are amphibians, its worth a shot). If i can't find newts literally anywhere, I think i might try to get salamanders (if I can find those). In the case of getting salamanders, my tank would need more land than just a turtle dock, right?

(on the off chance nothing works, im gonna make it a community fish tank)

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the site. :) With the turtle dock added and loads more plants (you can't have too many plants for firebellies), your tank will be fine. I've got a feeling newts will get very hard to find in most states now the ban is in place, but by the sound of it, it could be an option to get some eggs sent to raise your own, so maybe look into that if you can't find any adults.
You can find care sheets for most species here. :)

Caudata Culture Species Database - Salamandridae

Their is still newts for sale on ebay. But they look like larvae from pictures. They advertise them as Mississippi newts. Good luck

Their is still newts for sale on ebay. But they look like larvae from pictures. They advertise them as Mississippi newts. Good luck

I would definitely not recommend buying unidentified newt/salamander larvae from ebay, they could be absolutely anything!
The seller obviously has no idea what they are or how to care for them, otherwise they would be properly labelled as a recognised species. Also, depending on what species they actually are and where they came from, it could be illegal to sell, or even posses them.

I figured if you want a newt or salamander it's worth a shot. If you can go pick one up and see it in person that's definitely the way to go. I did get my 2 newts of eBay and I am very happy with them . They got me to this website . I cant find newts even fire bellys with in 130 miles from where I live. I would have liked to find some alpine newts . But if the band is really in affect I guess no alpine's for me.:( Unless I can find eggs.

Welcome to the forum! I think to ease cleaning, you could take some sand out from the deeper end to prevent the bottom getting bad. I agree with Chinadog, it's better to know which species you get. If you get an unknown larvae, you don't even know gow large it will grow and whether it's a territorial guy or comes well along with others - think if you grew like ten of those guys, it's soon ten tanks... ��

Sorry if i offended you guys . I would definitely take advice from you chinadog rather than argue with you. I was only trying to help someone get a newt or salamander. I know how much i enjoy my newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back