Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Virginia Beach, VA

MelissaT

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
My name is Melissa and I currently live in VA. I accidentally came across a picture of an Axolotl about a year ago and fell head over heels in love! I have been doing lots of research on line about them on line and I really want to get one. I have everything I think i need to provide a happy and healthy home for an axolotl, all I have left to get is the axolotl itself. If there is anyone in the area that knows of a good place to get one please let me know. Also I am open to all the tips and information I can get so please feel free to unload on me.

Melissa

NaterPotater

Reaction score
Hey Melissa. My name is Nathan. Easiest way is to buy your axolotls from a reputable breeder and have them shipped to you. You can buy eggs (not recommended for a beginner), babies (also not recommended for beginners), juveniles (pretty easy and adorable; only downside is you won't know the gender yet), sub-adults, and adults (easiest to care for, you CAN pick the gender, but they cost the most since the breeder has had to take care of them for at least 7 or 8 months). There are lots of good breeders, all over the U.S. I personally recommend Bette at "Aquarius Axolotls" on Facebook or Melloney at "A Lotta Axolotl" on Facebook. If you have any questions, let me/us (Caudata.org at large) know. You'll find varying opinions all over, but we can always tell you what we think and maybe provide you with a few tidbits that are actual fact. lol

MelissaT

Reaction score
Hello Nathan.
thank you for the information! I wish I would have seen this post a few days earlier. unfortunately i am still trying to figure this sight out. I got an axolotl on Monday and I hate to say but i don't think he's doing to well. I put a few post out today so hopefully someone will be able to help. I appreciate the response and am excited to be here and a new mommy to a little lottle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1