Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Recycling water?

Apocalfish

Reaction score
This is kind of an odd question but I'm not sure where else to look or how to appropriately search for the answer.
So, spur of the moment, my friend and I want to go to a show to get axolotls this weekend but because of our work we're not sure the next time we'll even have a chance, to go because it's only once a month. I haven't gotten to cycle my tank yet and I was wondering if you can just take the water from another fish tank that's already been going for a long time. ( its my family's fish tank and all they have in it is a suckermouth catfish ( the 2 koi and Oscar died a few months ago before our move).
Sorry if this is a dumb or weird question! I just want one but I also want him to be happy and I don't even know if what I said is an option or not.
Thanks so much for checking this out for me and hopefully helping me out!!! I'm new at this and its super appreciated!

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
I have read no? A piece of your old filter will work still takes some time . Depending on the size tank you use.

Springlizard

Reaction score
I have never kept axotols but I don't think it's a good idea

Even if you can't get them this weekend you can always order online and a decent amount of people breed them in captivity

It's kind of a pain to cycle but IMO it's worth having a healthy animal in the long run

The thing is bacteria grow on all parts of the tank including decorations so just moving the water you wouldn't get the full benefit of a cycle. The only way you could pull it off is if you monitor the PH and ammonia levels and do water changes accordingly , which could end up being quite frequent for the first month and would cause you a lot of hassle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!