Question: Oil, bubbles, and chunks????

headFeed

Reaction score
Country
Japan
On the surface of my axolotl's tank, it looks oily and there's always these weird misshapen bubbles.
When I disturb the surface, the bubbles create chunks and float down.

I'm worried about this because my axolotl goes up to get air so he could be ingesting whatever this is.

I tested the parameters for Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph and everything is fine.
I'm thinking it's the filter because I don't have this problem with my fish/shrimp tank which has a hang on waterfall filter. That filter only has something called a bio bag that's just a mesh bag with charcoal.

The filter for my axolotl is a external canister filter that has carbon, some kind of "bio" that absorbs odors and provides a place for bacteria, and ceramic rings.
Pictures of the issue below, is this harmful, and how can I fix it without replacing the filter entirely??? Should I remove anything inside the filter?

Attachments

• IMG_5130.jpg
    IMG_5130.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5131.jpg
    IMG_5131.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5132.jpg
    IMG_5132.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 134
This is biofilm. It's a mixture of shed slime coat, dead bacteria and dust, and settles on the surface when there isn't enough agitation. If you increase surface disruption with a bubbler or with the filter outlet it will stop it forming and allow the filter to filter it out.

This is biofilm. It's a mixture of shed slime coat, dead bacteria and dust, and settles on the surface when there isn't enough agitation. If you increase surface disruption with a bubbler or with the filter outlet it will stop it forming and allow the filter to filter it out.

I guess I'll try changing the filter outtake to flute looking one. Thanks! I'll update later since I'm still suspicious of the filter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back