Larvae

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cliff
Hi i have some larvae they are Louisiana newts. Look like red spotted newts without the spots. Some are over 7 weeks old . They dont have any back legs is this normal? I have only feed them microworms so far. My second question is i have a 5 gallon aquarium. It has about 4 inches of water in it and java moss and sponge filter. The tank is completely cycled . Do i need to put food in the cycled tank? I do vacuum it and put microworms in it. But can they just live of whats in the water? I have about 25 larvae that are about 1/2 inch in the 5 gallon tank is that to many? I do have some bbs on its way if my microworms are to blame for the lack of back legs.:confused:

5 gallon is pretty small for so many larvae, I would go at least 10 just to be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No not a breeder or a sails man like you. Just got two adults when my fish died. Now i have babies. But you are 1 jealous breeder . I am so glad you have never shipped anythimg and you meet all of the people in person that you sell to. If you mailed anything your no better than ebay. Your on her full time chinadog how much mony do you make pumping out your reptiles? Just wont these larvae to live. That's why i give them away for free. I dont do it for money chinadog I in joy it. Thats why you are here complaining instead of helping . You must be losing money im sorry but its not me. I live in duluth mn if anyone would like free newt larvae plus small microworm culture :proud::proud:

Don't know what that's all about...

They will probably do better in a larger tank, but only if it has enough food. I would move them onto something larger than micro worms. Also, what temps are you keeping them at? These will grow very slowly at cool temps, but will do better at room temp.

Sorry for everyone how has to read me ranting at chinadog. But someone was looking for newts or salamander. I suggested go to ebay because i still see them for sale there. I must have really got under his skin because he hasn't been to nice since then. So this is from me for chinadog do not buy newts salamander of ebay.:confused:

But thank for the info i guess i have been keeping them to cool around 66f . Could you tell me what food i should switch to ? I did order some bbs will they be to small? I will split the larvae up to thank you.

So, did you buy them from ebay, or is it you that's selling them?

Buy the way dont tell people they sell newts on ebay or this guy will give you a red box . Down wher it says rep. But i am here for advice not to give it. Thanks for the red box red is my favorite color. :p

Right then, let's see.
To begin with, I'm not a "breeder", or a salesman, I'm a car and truck mechanic.
My Cynops pyrrhogaster breed every year and I do sometimes raise a dozen or so juveniles. which I might occasionally sell to other hobbyists. I raise them because I enjoy it, but as a money spinner it sucks. Once they are a year old I sell them for about £10 each, so as you can see after I've fed and housed them for 12 months there's no way any of that tenner is profit, in fact it's a huge loss. Think about it.
So all in all you're right, I am losing money, but it's a hobby, that's what hobbies are for.
I don't know why you say I sell reptiles, who says that?
I only asked if you were buying or selling the larvae on ebay?
Btw, the red box wasn't from me!

Last edited:
I figured you where a breeder because you criticized me when i told someone they can find newts on ebay. I got my two newts of eBay and i enjoy them . Otherwise i would had to drive 130 miles to twin cities one wayto find newts.

I didn't criticise anybody. I did advise against buying the larvae off ebay for the reasons I gave in the original post. I would say the same to anybody, it wasn't personal. I didn't know if you'd already bought them or not. if you had, I would have offered you advice on how to care for them, that's all.

[Quote Chinadog]
"I would definitely not recommend buying unidentified newt/salamander larvae from ebay, they could be absolutely anything!
The seller obviously has no idea what they are or how to care for them, otherwise they would be properly labelled as a recognised species. Also, depending on what species they actually are and where they came from, it could be illegal to sell, or even posses them."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back