Weird baby

LoriML

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Lori
Hey guys!

I have a weird little baby. Just curious if you all would suspect some of trauma or injury, or maybe something genetic.
One side of him has a larger eye and slightly larger gills. But he's leucstic (looks to me anyway) on both sides, so I'm not sure there's anything chimerism going on.He's also slightly curved, again like he's longer and growing faster on the "bigger" side. It's so weird. I'll probably separate him tomorrow to to be safe. He eats fine, but is smaller than most of his clutch. He also swims weird, a little "jerky" and not as smooth. But he gets around. I hope he makes it, but I'm a little concerned.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9735.JPG
    IMG_9735.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_9734.JPG
    IMG_9734.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_9731.JPG
    IMG_9731.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 183
Seems to be a growth defect, it may live but possibly not for long or as healthy as others. Hard to say.

Perhaps there is someone with experience of owning one of these Axolotls that could help!

This may be a mosaic. Sometimes a mosaic has 2 sets of genes with the same colour, but the 2 sides grow at different rates. Some survive, some don't, but it would interesting to see what happens with this one.

Thank you! Yeah it's a little strange one for sure. I'll update if he hangs in there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back