Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Who does NOT use Filters?

Do you use a filter in your Axolotl tank?

• Yes

Votes: 38 90.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

stevenwignet

Reaction score
Some people use filters in their tank and others dont, so what do you use?, with or without?
If you have a filter what is your reasons for using one and if you go filter free what is your reasons for not having one?

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
People don't use filters because It's generally accepted that water flow will stress Axolotl, this is quite often the case although there are many keepers who own Axolotls which will sit in the flow of a filter or air stone.

You can easily stop or reduce the water flow from a filter, leaving the Axolotl stress free. And considering the mass amount of benefits from a filter you may aswel block the water flow and reap the rewards.

Keeping your tank water cleaner, creating a healthier environment for your Axolotl and sustaining the Nitrogen Cycle is huge benefit.

I will always use a filter as its so easy and benefits your Axolotls habitat.

xxianxx

Reaction score
You need a third option "sometimes", I have axolotl tanks with and without filters. Filtered tanks are generally highly stocked , unplanted and pellets used as a food source, unfiltered tanks are generally lightly stocked, planted and live food only.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Only use filters on my heavily stocked fish tank and koi pond.
Would never use any type of filter with my newts. Low stocking levels, No over feeding, that's the key in my set ups. Keep the water cool reduces issues with anaerobic bacteria. I use gravel base and lots of plants including floating ones.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't keep axies, but I keep other newts/salamanders and I don't use any filters, just air bubblers. I do water changes every three weeks on all my tanks. I didn't answer the poll because I don't keep axies.

Wyvell

Reaction score
I use two Sponge filters in my tank,one very small one and one medium as well as an air stone. This keeps the oxygen level high and the tank clean. I do have very high evaporation but I am OK with this as it keeps my water cooler.

The sponge filters are a great addition to axolotl tanks because they do not create a lot of water flow but still provide a lot of biological filtration. The two filters in my 20 gallon long tank are rated for 10 gallons and 20 gallons placed at opposite ends. I do have plants in my tank and I am trying to establish floating plants as well. I did have a Hang on back fliter at one time but I decided that it created too much water flow for my tank. I also keep between 2-5 ghost shrimp in the tank as they too help with cleaning and provide a nice snack for my axolotl every now and then.

Bunny1994

Reaction score
For a little while when first getting my axies I didn't use a filter purely for no water agitation but I very quickly found out that the water quality definitely suffered so now I use a waterfall filter which I set quite low in the tank, it doesn't bother my axies in the slightest.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!