Question: Hatching vs buying axolotls

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am getting an axie or two soon, and was wondering if it would be easier/ more benificial to hatch my own from an egg or to just buy one from a breeder? If I bought one from a breeder, what is the best age to buy them at?

unless you know what your doing then you can raise from eggs but if you dont have experience then expect a lot of deaths.
the minimum age to sell axolotls is 3 months old by that time they are hardy enough to survive and the breeder should have weaned them onto earthworms

Hatching them is rewarding, but a very long and tedious process. The brine shrimp hatcheries are fairly easy, but also a pain (if that even makes sense). It takes a lot of time to do daily feedings, daily water changes, and general maintenance. You can make one mistake with water or temperature, and they can all die overnight. Also keep in mind that if you raise several up from eggs and they turn out to be male and female, you'll undoubtedly end up with inbred babies. Which may or may not be a big problem depending on who you ask. In my experience anyway.
Good luck on your decision! Welcome to axolotls! :D

I agree with Lori on the difficulties. Also, if you don't have a lot of deaths, you need to have some way of rehoming them, and it isn't a good thing to bring them to a pet store, unless it is one of the rare pet stores that treats them properly. If you do decide to try to raise them from eggs, I recommend no more than 15-30 eggs from a breeder with a good track record (less likely to have defects), since that many is manageable.

Having said that, I find raising them to be rewarding, and then you can pick the one(s) you like best to keep. :happy:

I think it's just personal preference. As long as its atleast 2.5 inches and about 3 months is usually whats recommended for babies. Other than that its up to you if you want juveniles or adults. Keep in mind you'll want any that you purchase to be within an inch of each other to avoid injuries.
Unless theres an truly recommend age (other than old enough to be healthy) that someone else can comment on.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back