Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi!!!

lovebird141

Reaction score
Hi everyone!!! I'm here because I lobve axolotls and im planning on getting one very soon!!! I have researched them quite a bit but if anyone has any tips please feel free to message me with them!

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Welcome!

Here's a small list of the main things you should need:

1. Dechlorinator - A good brand like Tetra or Fluval which remove chlorine chloramines and metal toxins Water Conditioner | A8342 | Water Care | Fluval

2. Filter - There a number of filter types, each are beneficial to different types of amphibians. You need to consider which type of filter will benefit the large volume of water your tank holds to provide optimal filtration. The cost can be quite high for some, like the 'canister filter', these seem to be one of the best for larger tanks but take up more space (usually requiring a cabinet) and require tubes to go into the tank. I myself use a cheaper option, a submersible Fluval U2 for my smaller tanks without issue but since you have a 50 gallon tank the Fluval U4 would be better suited. Read more on different filter types here: Caudata Culture Articles - Filters | Axolotls - Housing in Captivity

3.Substrate - Aquarium sand should be okay as long as it is fine sand with no gravel or stones mixed in. Gravel can be swallowed which could cause issues in the digestive tract such as impaction. Make sure to rinse your sand thoroughly, this way you will remove any dirt and dust which will cloud your tank. I use an old pillow case which I fill with he sand then rinse continuously with water from a hose pipe, mixing the sand as I go until the water exiting the bottom of the pillow case runs clear. Also make sure your sand layer is no more than 3cm thick otherwise it tends to create a build up of anaerobic decay creating gas bubbles and bacteria. You can mix your sand from time to time to help prevent this. Read this article for more information on substrates: Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates

3. Ornaments/Hides/Plants - Axolotls like coverage and places to hide, plants and hides are great to create security for your Axolotl as well as creating an appealing tank through aqua-scaping. You can purchase 'hollow logs' and other aquarium ornaments which will function as hides and decoration. You can also use rock such as slate to crate platforms and caves, terracotta plant pots work well too. Due to Axolotls not liking a lot of light your limited to certain types of plants, these are just some of which don't require too much light: Chain sword, Java fern, java moss, Anubias nana. If using a light then you could use a low 18W fluorescent aquarium bulb, this will promote photosynthesis. LED lights can be very expensive but produce less heat. You can put your light on a timer so it is active for certain hours of the day. You can create a proper habitat with coverage. Enough plants and clever aqua scaping making caves, various hides, and shaded areas can create a perfect environment, you can also buy floating plants to minimize the light from above.
I don't know a lot on lighting and plants so hopefully someone else can give further information. Red these articles for ideas of aquatic setups: Caudata Culture Articles - Setups, Aquatic
http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Aquascape.shtml

4. Temperature - A thermometer is needed to monitor your water temperature, you can buy submersibles or digital. Water temperature should be between 16 and 18 degrees Celsius, anything higher than 24 degrees C for too many days will cause stress and allow disease. You can purchase a chiller to provide optimum temperature if your climate is very hot. There no use taking any chance with your precious Axolotls! http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB13DLUJFXXXXbVXFXXq6xXFXXXm/1PC-Hot-Selling-Aquarium-Thermometer-Fresh-Salt-Water-Fish-Tank-Suction-Cup-Temperature-Thermometer-Decoration-.jpg

5. Tools of the trade - There are many tools you can use to aid you in the care of your Axolotls. Turkey basters are great for sucking up left over food or Axolotl waste. Plastic syringes are good for clearing up food and waste when your Axolotl is quarantined or if you are looking after larvae/juveniles http://vapemix.co.uk/wp-content/uplo...ic-syringe.jpg.
Siphons are a good way to remove water and any waste from your tank, I use the Fluval Edge II - EDGE Gravel Cleaner | 11057 | Maintenance | Fluval.
Also long forceps (tweezers) are great for hand feeding - http://www.tgauge.com/shopimages/products/normal/Plastic%20Tweezers.JPG
Plastic tubs/containers always come in hand when quarantining or for housing live food temporarily. http://www.gelinplastic.com/Products_Images/B_2011_4_29_16_34_30.jpg

As for cycling, you will need a test kit to monitor your nitrogen cycle, because you have to check for levels of Ammonia, Nitrites, and NitrAtes. A lot of users on this forum use and recommend this test kit including myself: Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT These liquid test kits are far more reliable that the test strip versions.

The cycling process can take from 3-6 weeks. For your tank to be cycled, a beneficial bacteria needs to be present to break down the Ammonia and Nitrites into Nitrates. Ammonia and Nitrites are lethal to Axolotl and are produced from your Axolotls waste and decomposing food. Nitrates are a less toxic by product. During cycling the beneficial bacteria will colonize your tanks surfaces such as substrate, ornaments, filter, and begin to feed on the Ammonia turning it into Nitrites, then bacteria will break down the Nitrites into Nitrates. The bacteria is known as a biofilter, as it filters the ammonia and nitrites into less harmful nitrates.

Read these links to get to grips with the Nitrogen Cycle:
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
How to Cycle a Fish Tank

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1