Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Soon to be Axolotl owner wanting to make sure I’m good to go

Vangee

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I’m Marc from Ontario, Canada. After acquiring all the pieces I need for a freshwater aquarium, I changed my mind and decided to get some axolotls instead. I have everything ready to minus substrate, plants etc. I have a 50g tank that’s 36”x18”x18” and I’d like to get three axolotls (I’ve read this should be enough). I plan to get sand up to a couple inches, some low light live plants which I’ll attach to either rocks or driftwood and possibly one or two larger plastic logs the local pet store has. I understand they don’t like much light so I plan to hopefully be able to use a white bulb and a blue bulb together. I don’t want it too bright but I obviously don’t want the plants to die. I have a large filter that was meant for fish but I may use something to block some of the commotion in the water. I also plan to get some smaller air pumps as well.

I guess that would be it. I just want to make sure my plan is ok and that I’m not missing anything. I’m sure I left something out and if so I’ll come back and raise the question.

Thank you all in advance.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan!

There are some amazing ways to aqua scape, check this article for a run down on options for setting your tank up: Axolotl Sanctuary

Are you aware of the Nitrogen Cycle? Do you have any dechlorinator?

Check this thread, contains a rough list of things that might help:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-general-topics/f1158-introductions-area/105438-hi.html#post460675

Check out:
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles

And welcome to the forum!

Vangee

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome! I knew I'd forget some information! I plan to cycle the tank for at least a few weeks before I buy the axolotls. I want to make sure everything is perfect for them. Thanks for the links. I'll be sure to check them out. The image in the sanctuary link is basically exactly what I want. I’m not going to pack in too many plants in the beginning and I’m guessing they will eventually fill out the area of the tank. I’ve watched a lot of videos and they seem to look much happier when they’re in a tank with lots of plants. They seem to be much more active.

Richie373

Reaction score
i would definitely agree, my axolotls breed when I put in a bunch of new plants!
However, make sure they're robust, or have had some time to root before the axolotls get in there!
they definitely don't give a monkeys about your careful aquascaping! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!