Cycle issues?

Devyn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Pippa
Hi,

I am in the middle of cycling my 20 Gallon Long tank and I think I am kinda stuck.
Our axxie moved in 30 days ago and the tank has been set up for 34 days (now I know we should have cycled the tank before introducing the axxie, but we got bad advice from the local pet store).
I got some filter media from an established tank and I also purchased an *active* (seeded) sponge filter to speed up the process a week ago.
Besides the sponge filter we are using an Aqueon QuietFlow 20. We also have 3 live plants, 3 Marimo moss balls, 2 fake plans, 2 hides and 1 air stone in the tank.
Our axxie is quite happy and has a great appetite for night crawlers.

My problem is, the water parameters don’t change. Since 2 weeks I am testing:
ammonia: 0.25-0.5 ppm
nitrite: 0 ppm
nitrates: ~5 ppm
ph: 7.4
water temperature: 66 degrees (occasionally 68 degrees)

I am using Seachem Prime to dechlorinate the water, I am also doing 25-50% PWC every day and picking up poop, debris/leftovers with a turkey baster immediately.
I already tested the tap water, it has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 0 nitrates.
I really don’t know what to do. Do you think my tank will still cycle or is it stalled? Or am I just too impatient?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Looks like your cycle is potentially established, since you have a reading of Nitrate which is the last part of the cycle. But you should if you test everyday see some Nitrites, since the Ammonia converts to Nitrites befor converting to Nitrates.

It's usually best to cycle without your Axolotl in the tank so your able to reah a higher level of ammonia around 4.0ppm which will help produce a stronger biological filter so it can cope with potentially higher levels of ammonia in the future.

Just be patient, test everyday, but I would move the Axolotl into a separate container during cycling and try dosing the tank with abit more ammonia gradually.

What is the 'active' (seeded) sponge filter you purchased??

Thank you!

Yes, I am testing every day, using the API test kit. Is it possible to skip the nitrite reading, because I am using filter medias from established tanks? I’ve never had a nitrite reading.

Perhaps it’s best moving her to a separate container and dosing the tank with pure ammonia (or would her poop be enough?).

I purchased the seeded sponge filter online from angels plus. I read in several aquarium forums that people have cycled their tanks with those sponge filters successfully. So I thought I give it a try.

Given you have some seeded filter material, it is possible that you won't see a non-zero nitrite reading.

You could do what Chris suggests and pull your axolotl out and push the ammonia up, or you could just be patient. Since you are keeping on top of the ammonia, your axolotl should be OK either way. Your tank might cycle faster (but probably not a lot faster) if you have your axolotl out and bump up the ammonia, but there are risks to having you axolotl in a smaller container too (like, jumping out or ammonia build up in the smaller container between water changes). If it were me, I'd make the decision based on the size of your axolotl - it is easier to keep a smaller axolotl in a container than a larger axolotl.

Given you have some seeded filter material, it is possible that you won't see a non-zero nitrite reading.

You could do what Chris suggests and pull your axolotl out and push the ammonia up, or you could just be patient. Since you are keeping on top of the ammonia, your axolotl should be OK either way. Your tank might cycle faster (but probably not a lot faster) if you have your axolotl out and bump up the ammonia, but there are risks to having you axolotl in a smaller container too (like, jumping out or ammonia build up in the smaller container between water changes). If it were me, I'd make the decision based on the size of your axolotl - it is easier to keep a smaller axolotl in a container than a larger axolotl.
Thank you, Laura.

I have a 56 qt. plastic box. Would that be ok for a temporary container? Or does it need to be bigger/smaller? I know I am supposed to do 100% water changes every day, if I’m keeping her in a container.
Given that I used seeded filter material, how do I approach the fish less cycle? Can I use pure ammonia or poop or fish food? What would be best?

Our axxie is 8,5”.

56 qt? That is practically a tank. :) That is plenty big, which is good, since that is a big axolotl. That is bigger than what I would use, but as long as you can do the water changes, bigger is better. At that size, you don't need to change twice a day. You can measure the ammonia and decide when to change.

The fact that you have the seeded material should make it go much faster, but the process is the same. It is easier to control the amount of ammonia with plain ammonia, and it is pretty cheap. Get the smallest bottle you can of plain ammonia - it only takes a couple of drops at most to raise the ppm to 4 ppm. You may want to dilute the ammonia to make it easier to control the amount. Once the filter can take 4 ppm of ammonia down to 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, you have a cycled filter. Then do a very large water change to bring down the nitrates.

==> Leave your seeded sponge in the tank for a month or two, to make sure the other filter really is cycled. When you take it out, monitor the the parameters to make sure ammonia and nitrite don't spike, and do water changes as appropriate if they do. That seeded sponge will be doing most of the bio-filtering at first.

I know. I just thought, the bigger the better. :happy: Should I fill up the entire box or just half-way or even less? Do I need to attach a filter or is it fine to just do water changes? I’d move her into our bedroom, it’s pretty dark and cool in there.
Do you think it is a good idea to try to raise the water temperature - just to get the tank cycled more quickly?
Do I have to feed Gretchen (we renamed her, after we figured out *he* is a girl ;) ) every day, or is that not necessary? I don’t even know if it is good to feed a 8.5” axxie every day, but she is very hungry. I do have to say she was very skinny when we got her from the pet store and they only fed their axxies with a few shrimp pellets.
I am feeding her 1-2 night crawlers every day. I hope that is ok?

I’ll buy some pure ammonia tomorrow. Am I supposed to see a nitrite spike? And do I want to keep ammonia up to 4 ppm?

Can I keep both filters in the tank - after it is cycled? Or would that be too much?

Man, I am so confused now. I just want Gretchen to be happy and healthy.

If she's skinny and happy to eat, I would feed away! Generally they're more hungry in lesser-chilled water.

Re the two filters, not sure why you'd need them? Assuming one is suitable for the size of your tank, I'd stick with one - less water pressure that way.

Gretchen will be happy and healthy, don't worry, you obviously care a lot for her already :happy:

I wouldn't raise the temperature to speed the cycle, but my reason might not stand up to actual scientific experimentation... My thought is, you want to encourage the bacteria that do best at your desired tank temperature. (I'm sure there is genetic variability in the bacteria.) So, keep it at the temperature the axolotl tank will be at long term. (If anyone has time to do actual experiments, I'd love to here the results. :happy: )

For the cycle - yeah, bring the ammonia back up to 4 ppm every day. You may or may not see a nitrite spike, since you have a seasoned sponge.

Since you have one seasoned sponge and one regular filter, you need to either leave the seasoned sponge in there for a month or two (to make sure the other filter is cycled too), or remove the sponge and test with 4 ppm ammonia when you think it is cycled to make sure the other filter is cycled too.

I keep sponge filters in most of my tanks along with the canister filters. That way, if something goes wrong with either filter, I have a back-up filter all seasoned. But the sponges do take room.

Like Big A said, if she is skinny, feed her :happy: When she is appropriately plump (tummy about as wide as head), you can cut back.

I am sorry, I had a family emergency and am still totally busy.
Gretchen still is in her tank because I haven’t had the chance to move her. But I am still doing partial water changes every day (25% at the moment).
Water parameters are:
Ammonia: 0 - 0.25 ppm (it’s not completely yellow, but close)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
pH: 7.4
water temperature: 66 degrees

She’s eating 3 small night crawlers daily plus 2 salmon pellets and finally she’s putting on some weight. :happy:

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update. Thanks for all your advice and help. I really appreciate it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back