Help!!

kyza287

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Can someone help me please! I've come home and noticed this thing hanging on the side of my axolotl :( he was fine this morning when I went out! The temp in the tank is at 19 degrees Celsius 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and nitrates are 20 I don't know what other information you need.. He/she is on a diet of frozen axolotl foods substrate is sand

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 174
It is possible that is an injury? It there anything sharp in the tank? I have never seen anything like that.

If that is an injury, you NEED to see a vet ASAP.

I have no money for a vet today :( thats what im trying to work out, theres nothing sharp in the tank at all Im really confused. I think ill ring around a vet and see if they have any payment options

Any cats that might have tried to sample an axolotl?

I have two cats but have lids on the tank so theres no way they could get to him

I hate to say this, but does it look like intestines? (I'm really hoping it isn't.)

If it is an injury and you can't get to a vet immediately, it might be best to refrigerate your axolotl. However, this requires a refrigerator that isn't too cold - see the guide in the "Sick Axolotl" subforum.

Do you have any driftwood?

I think it is his intestines.. he doesnt seem like he is going to make it. Ive found a vet that will let me pay them off but I think we will euthanize him.. If we make it to vet in time. No driftwood at all Im wondering if he has injured himself on a rock or something.

do you feed your axolotl meal worms? ive heard stories of meal worms chewing their way out of axolotls stomach.

I was wondering the same thing goon. The best thing you can do is get him in a refrigerator stat! It will slow down any damage being done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He never had any meal worms.. Worked out it was probably the fake plants in the tank which have been removed now so my other axoltols dont get injured too! Took him to the vet and it was his intestines. I was told there wasnt anything we could do so we euthanized him :( Atleast he isnt suffering niw :(:(:(

I'm sorry for your loss :(. It is always hard losing a loved pet but you did the right thing by taking him to the vet and making the difficult decision to have him euthanised.

I am so sorry for your loss. :(

This has been very upsetting for you, but is there any chance you could post a picture the plastic plants? This could help other keepers in the future. I, for one, am going to check the plastic plants I have.

Very sorry to hear :,( please post pictures of the plants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone .. I had a bunch of these in there

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 134
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back