Question About Sexing

Nioa

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got several Chinese Firebelly newts and I'm unsure of their sexes. I've heard that a sure way to tell is to look at their cloacas, but they all look like slits to me. Apparently the females' are supposed to look like either shorter slits or round holes. This contradicts other characteristics about mine. My male who has a very obvious bulge is also about half the length of the two other newts that I just bought, and I've have him for at least two years so I don't think he's still a juvenile. I'll try to get pictures soon if that'll help, but here's the picture of what their cloacas are supposed to look like:

differance%20between%20male%20and%20female%20fire%20bellied%20newts_zpsz5uua5nr.png

The stress of capture/importation can can sometimes mean the secondary sexual characteristics of pet trade newts are much less obvious than usual, this can make sexing them with any certainty a bit more of a challenge. It might be best to let them adapt and de-stress for a few weeks, once they're eating well and happy in their new home the boys and girls will be easy to spot.

Isn't size a characteristic? The two newly bought ones are much larger.

My orientalis males are smaller than my females. Sometimes tail length can be a clue as well (though not fool proof): many males have much shorter tails than the females since they participate in tail fanning during courtship. A shorter tail is easier to waft around. So, if the tail length is less than or equal to the snout to vent length, chances are you have a male. (This method can also be applied to determining sex in morphs, but again, is not fool proof and I would never guarantee sex by this method alone).

Whatever the sex of your newbies, I wish them and you the best and am sure you will get a lot of enjoyment out of them regardless!

HJ

Okay, so I've got some pictures and I'd really appreciate if someone could help me figure out what sex they are. I've taken note of the feedback so far, but I'd like to be extra sure.

The first is my for sure male (and cloaca), the larger new one (and cloaca), and the thin new one (and cloaca)
20160228_003441_zpsev81frzw.jpg

20160228_003530_zpsltkqjdyu.jpg

20160228_003640_zpsmhwfqrtz.jpg

20160228_003825_zps7tn976fw.jpg

20160228_003915_zpstfkyzlt0.jpg

20160228_004144_zpspkwxxm0g.jpg

20160228_004215_zpsk1ldf0xv.jpg

I'll have to let somebody more experienced with H. orientalis call it because it's not obvious to me.
The only thing I will say is the third newt looks very ill. I would separate it from the others and keep a close eye on it for a few days. If it doesn't start putting weight back on I'd be taking it to see a vet if it were mine.

I'll have to let somebody more experienced with H. orientalis call it because it's not obvious to me.
The only thing I will say is the third newt looks very ill. I would separate it from the others and keep a close eye on it for a few days. If it doesn't start putting weight back on I'd be taking it to see a vet if it were mine.

I've already taken special precautions with that one, I'm certain she has the shine. She was separated almost immediately and put in a terrestrial setup. I've been updating her progress here: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ewt-salamander-help/105377-dealing-shine.html

Thanks for the concern! I believe she's doing better today.

I'd say the middle one is female but let's hear another opinions to be sure! All the best with the little one, hope it gets better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back