Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Adding New Axolotl to an existing pair

Schambers87

Reaction score
Hi guys, been a couple of years since my last post. I still have two Axies and they are doing great!
They have been upgraded to a new tank that is as wide as it is long! They've been in it for a couple of years now and have always thought about adding one more to the group(the tank is plenty big enough)
My question is do I go on the hunt for a fully grown adult? One adult is approx 30cm/12inches long(maybe a little bigger) And the other more the average 9inches.
My worry is if I was to buy a juvenile, because of the colossal size difference, the bigger two may mistake him for a bite to eat? (They are fed live food)
I've been searching for adult Axies for sale but all too far to travel. I do have a very small tank but it doesn't have the best filtration system and it is quite small - also would he/she be in it for quite a long time before fully grown?
I've thought about a divider but would need to custom make one due to width of tank - any ideas for what to use?

TIA

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Juvenile will definitely be too small and could easily be eaten or injured. Better to just buy an adult which is same size as your current Axolotls. Otherwise you'll be waiting months for a juvenile in a separate tank to catch up in size.

LoriML

Reaction score
Yes, you definitely should stick to an adult. You can find some really great ones here in the for sale section. You can also make a post in the wanted section. There are some great breeders here who have lovely healthy adults for your established tank!

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Yes, a smaller axolotl will be a snack.

Perhaps if you pm some of the very reputable UK posters/breeders, they can direct you towards breeders in your area. They've been "in the business" long enough to know some breeders that may not post here. AuntieJude, ChinaDog, and xxianxx (Nai Live) come to mind, but there are others I'm sure. If they are close to you, they are a likely source of adult axolotls as well.

xxianxx

Reaction score
If you haven't the space to raise a juvenile adults are available if you have patience, advertise in this group, Preloved pets and rfuk.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!