Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aggressive + Fast Growing Axolotl?

mushutheaxie

Reaction score
This isn't really a problem, I just am curious about my axolotl's behaviors and temperament.
Mushu is about 4 months old and is already HUGE. he has grown from being 3 inches long to being about 10 inches rapidly. When I bought him he was extremely malnourished so I started feeding him earthworms every single day to help with his health.

Now I feel like I've created a little monster. the second I put the feeding tongs in the tank, or my finger, or anything really, he goes right after it and starts biting it and thrashing around trying to devour it.

I'm worried the metal tongs will hurt his mouth because of how aggressive he is when he attacks them for the earthworm or shrimp or whatever it's holding.. So i've backed off of that and started using my hands only to feed and he tries to consume my entire finger every time.

Is this kind of aggression normal? I don't even have to have food in my hand and he tries to eat it up.

Also while I'm at it here's a pic of his mouth. Does it look ok? it's always looked a little lumpy to me and I just wanna make sure the metal tongs havent hurt him:
IMG_8973.jpg

Also look how much he has grown, end of november he was this size: (the day I brought him home)
IMG_7719.jpg

Is rapid growth normal too? He seriously gets bigger every week I swear

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
This behaviour is normal, some Axolotls can be slightly less aggressive. When it comes to feeding they will nearly always be expecting food every time you come near the tank.

I use long plastic forceps instead of metal ones, my Axolotl will latch onto them as he takes food sometimes.

The growth is normal mine grew similarly, but I think it's genetic also as some Axolotls don't reach such large sizes. Your feeding nutritious food daily which will help growth too.

Nioa

Reaction score
I can also confirm that your axolotls feeding behavior is normal. Mine expects food every time I walk in the room. She's also latched on to the tongs a few times and stubbornly wouldn't let go.

It's not technically aggression, just super excited for food! It's not an amphibian's nature to bite to defend itself, but they are known for begging!

Nioa

Reaction score
Ah, I see what you mean. Sorry for the confusion, I was trying to word it in a way to basically say "your axolotl is not trying to attack you, he's trying to attack food".

mushutheaxie

Reaction score
image.jpg

Here's a better pic of him to see how big he is! And only four months old haha. I have no clue what size he'll be when he's full grown but he just keeps growing.

mushutheaxie

Reaction score
This behaviour is normal, some Axolotls can be slightly less aggressive. When it comes to feeding they will nearly always be expecting food every time you come near the tank.

I use long plastic forceps instead of metal ones, my Axolotl will latch onto them as he takes food sometimes.

The growth is normal mine grew similarly, but I think it's genetic also as some Axolotls don't reach such large sizes. Your feeding nutritious food daily which will help growth too.

I'm glad!! It definitely doesn't bother me, he can nibble on me all he wants. I just wanted to make sure the food aggression wasn't a sign of something bad :) I'm gonna switch to another tool to feed with if I don't feel like using my hands because I'm slightly worried the metal tongs will hurt him one day because of how hard he latches on to them

NaterPotater

Reaction score
He's beautiful. For the record everyone, I didn't say anything bad. I'm not sure why the C-R-A-P word needed to be censored, but that's all I said. haha.

auntiejude

Reaction score
There are no andersoni currently in the USA - they all died out.
The current ban in the USA only covers movement across state lines and imports, it's still legal to own axies or andersoni in 48 states.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1