Axolotl losing his toes

ambjoern

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
All of a sudden, we saw that our axies' toes were missing, more or less on all feet. He swims a little clumsy, but eats and poops and behaves generally just as usual. No signs of fungus or anything odd at all on the feet, no wounds or anything.

He also has gotten more and more spotted over the last sex months or so, white /yellowish spots all over the body. No visible change in the appearance of the skin except for this.

He is alone in the tank. 3 or 4 years old. Any ideas?

New spots of pigmentation are quite common in older axolotls. The issues you're experiencing with the toes could be an illness. Could you include some pictures?

That is interesting, its as if the toes have disappeared leaving more of a webbed looking foot.

Odd that you have seen no signs of fungus since that is usually the beginning of losing toes, or at least seeing the white tissue of the toes decaying.

The white patches on the skin look like symptoms of heat stress.

What are the test results for ammonia, nitrites, nitrAtes, and PH?
What is your tanks water temperature?

That is interesting, its as if the toes have disappeared leaving more of a webbed looking foot.

Odd that you have seen no signs of fungus since that is usually the beginning of losing toes, or at least seeing the white tissue of the toes decaying.

The white patches on the skin look like symptoms of heat stress.

What are the test results for ammonia, nitrites, nitrAtes, and PH?
What is your tanks water temperature?

Thanks,
Just below 20 C/68 F
My liquid tests say:
pH 7,5
kH 4 dH
NH4NH3 (ammonium) 0 mg/l
NO2 (nitrites) 0 mg/l, but that test kit is past expiry date, I'll get a new one
Don't have a nitrates test

72 litres/19 gallon tank

My first thought was a nutritional problem. I tried googling, and didn't find anything, though. I think this might require a trip to a qualified amphibian vet. But I suggest googling a lot first.

I don't think this is a nitrate problem, but since you don't have a test, how often are you changing water and how much at a time? Axolotls are sensitive to nitrate.

I hope it isn't this: http://www.gardenwildlifehealth.org/files/2013/06/Amphibian-Ranavirus-disease-factsheet_GWH.pdf

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back