My FBN isn't eating or going into the water

Punjiljh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased 2 fire belly newts 6 days and one week ago today!
I am very pleased with them however I am highly worried about my male one!
It hasn't eaten once since I've got him and I have offered him blood worms, earthworms, freeze dried shrimp and blood worms(what the pet shop fed them) and no luck what so ever.
He is also spending all of his days on top of a fake plant :( I keep him hydrated to the best of my ability and try feeding him along with the other newt. I have lowered the plant and been patiently worrying to see if my little guy will get some food down him.
I'm getting worried a lot now since it is reaching the 2 week mark and he dosent seem to be getting any better.
On the other hand my female newt is loving exploring and demoloshing the worms I have to offer

Any help or reassurance would be very helpful thank you!

Welcome to the forum!

This is a widely and frequently discussed topic. If you peruse through the help section you will find many threads relating to this. This one is pasted to the top of the section as a sticky: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-new-chinese-fire-belly-newts-not-eating.html

So keep the newt cool, make sure it has hiding spots to help it feel more secure (this may mean removing it from an aquatic setup and placing in a temporary terrestrial enclosure) and keep trying with the feedings.

Best of luck,

HJ

Thank you for the reply and I have read a few forums and posts about newts not settling in straight away. I was highly concede ring moving him into a terrestrial set up but I didn't want to scare him so I left him. I will just keep patient and try feeding him again tomorrow. I will post if he gets any worse or if he finally accepts some food!
Thank you

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back