Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: White Growth on Lotl Frills?

Severance

Reaction score
Hello all.

I recently discovered a white fuzzy growth on one of my lotl girl's frills, and the area it's attached to has grown a little pale. I would love some input on what it might be from more experienced owners, and advice if I need to treat it.

- She is 7-8 inches.
- She lives in a 30g tank with a filter.
- 2 live plants are in the tank with her (Cyperus Helferi).
- Upon noticing the fuzzy I did a 100% water change earlier today and treated it with API Stress Coat + Aloe.
- She eats a mixture of live adult red worms and carnivore pellets (40% crude protein).
- Tank temperature averages at 65 - 70 degrees.

Pictures (the fuzzy growth is on her top right frill):

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
( ^ Should link to 2 album pictures of her.)

Kilolotlkeeper

Reaction score
Looks super healthy! Could just be a fungus, look for a thread on here about how to do a salt water bath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSuzuki

Reaction score
It is hard to see it in the picture. Usually, what is described as a fuzzy white growth is fungus.

Often, a little bit of fungus on the end of a gill does not require salt baths. it will usually go away on its own if the water conditions are good.

What you should do is check the water conditions (temp, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH) and take care of any problems. Little bits of fungus are more common when nitrates go above 40 ppm. I stopped seeing those occasional bits of gill fungus when I started doing bigger water changes and mixing some unsoftened water with the water-softened water for water changes. I'm not sure if it is the larger water changes or the higher calcium content of the water that caused the gill fungus to stop happening.

If the fungus doesn't go away or gets worse, see the salt bath tutorial.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1