Tiger Salamander

CocoaAndTea

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got a pic from the vet while I'm waiting for next week for it to come. Soon I will know it's sex.

12801648_464788073710328_4487799269093421686_n.jpg

Is it chubby? Otherwise does it look healthy? Thanks.

Seems slightly chubby but I don't think that's a big deal

Looks good though Id say , seems to be a good size to

Seems slightly chubby but I don't think that's a big deal

Looks good though Id say , seems to be a good size to

Thank you for answering, I was worried a bit.

If I find it is a female, maybe it has to do with mating season coming up?

If it's just a bit chubby and has nothing to do with that, how many times a week do you suggest feeding it?

haha I might have to buy a bigger water bowl!

I am not sure how you can sex it from that photo although maybe someone here can

For feeding ( assuming it's chubby) you might want to try every other day and see if it loses any weight. Since salamanders aren't burning that many calories they put on weight fast

Since my salamanders are juvenile I've been feeding them every day but if I notice them gaining weight I'll try to cut back. Keeping in mind all mole salamanders are chubby to some extent

Also, mine like a good wated dish to soak in. Just make sure it's shallow because they can drown

A guideline I read ( for axolotls ) is that you want the head width about the same as the body. So I would guess the same could be applied to tiger salamanders

Knowing how to much feed them is kind of confusing though, because they always beg for food !

I saw that axolotol post as well.

I meant water dish, I might use a lid. I already have a dish that I got from petco, which is also has a hide. But now that I see how big my sally is, I don't think it's going to be able to fit it's whole body.

The vet that I am adopting it from is going to sex.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back