Is 68 degrees ok?

Goon

Reaction score
Country
United States
So ive managed to lower my temperature from 74 to 68 which is a huge difference but im still paranoid it might not be enough because when i shine my camera light over my axolotl i see little bits of stress spots on his sides and gills ( like the picture below, im typing this at night so i dont want to take a pic and disturb them with a bright light)
bPLa14R.jpg

ive had my axies for close to two weeks now they eat alot and exhibits normal behavior but im a bit worried please help. o and i currently cannot obtain any water testing kits but i do 60-80% percent water changes every 2 days just to be on the safe side.

I highly doubt your tank is cycled then, you can purchase the Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT on Amazon, buy it asap.

Your temp is okay but you really want to lower it atleast another 2-3 degrees Celsius, at 20 you have hardly any room for error, if you had a heat wave you'd be in trouble. How are you cooling your tank??

Colder temperatures and a properly cycled tank could potentially stop the symptoms you describe.

Read these articles on cycling:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

Post some clear images of the symptoms you feel your Axolotls have.

I highly doubt your tank is cycled then, you can purchase the Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT on Amazon, buy it asap.

Your temp is okay but you really want to lower it atleast another 2-3 degrees Celsius, at 20 you have hardly any room for error, if you had a heat wave you'd be in trouble. How are you cooling your tank??

Colder temperatures and a properly cycled tank could potentially stop the symptoms you describe.

Read these articles on cycling:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

Post some clear images of the symptoms you feel your Axolotls have.

im currently using a fan that blows across the surface of the water and i wasnt educated about the cycling process untill after i got my axolotl although i did set up the tank 4-5 days before purchasing my axies. i will try to get some photo tommarow it is currently really late atm
what steps can i take since i did not cycle my tank properly?

Read this thread that is still currently live: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/105507-new-owner-cycling-help.html#post461143 This should cover what you need to know and more. The OP in the thread is in the same situation as you with cycling.

Fans are okay, but not a great way to cool, not aesthetically pleasing either. There are other cooling methods but they aren't very consistent, the best method is using a chiller. Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

3em0F4c.jpg

i manage to get a photo because i couldn't sleep, can you give me an your opinion based on this picture (sorry i dont know how to make it any smaller)
if you look at the shiny spot on the gills that is what im referring to, they alre also visible on his sides but just very little.

The image is too dark to see clearly.. but it looks like Iridophores.

Iridophores are reflective pigment cells, they reflect light creating a shine. Golden Albinos are one of the types of Axolotl which hold Iridophore pigment cells.

Example: 35713139018578fe3a25f40ca7d6d215.jpg

Axolotls - Genetics and Colour

Take some more images with better light.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back