Injured/sick Axolotl?

Doughdog

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have 2 axolotls bought from the same shop at the same time from the same tank together. One is slightly bigger than the other and looks as though the bigger one has had a bite on the smaller ones tail as you can see in the image. Or is this an illness? How should I care for something like this?

I think the bigger Axolotl has developed a fungus on his foot, the pic isn't overly good...i tested the water and amonia and nitrites were the highest they have been so have done a partial water change and will continue to until the levels go down - we've only had the tank a couple weeks(we let it cycle a week before adding the axolotls) so from what ive read the levels will rise until the filter is fully established? Should I give him a salt bath?

Any help/advice is appreciated!! Don't want them getting sick!

Cheers

Last edited:
The tail damage will heal, the white part hanging off is the dead tissue, this will drop off eventually. The fungus on the foot is minor at the moment but keep an eye on it, you don't need salt baths for either yet.

Your tank is probably not cycled, which means your Axolotls are more susceptible to fungus and stress since your exposing them to Ammonia and Nitrites. Can you post the exact test results for your Ammonia, Nitrites, NitrAtes, and PH? Also, what is your water temperature?

Read these links to understand the Nitrogen Cycle:

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

Your currently cycling your tank using your Axolotls as the source of Ammonia, which as I said before will cause stress and potentially fungus.

Thanks for your post!

The temperature is 18 degrees, PH 7.4-7.6, I will test again tonight as I'm not home right now but from memory Ammonia was about 0.50ppm, Nitrite 0.25-0.50ppm and Nitrate was between 0-5ppm. These test results were from last night and previous test results 2 or 3 days before(When I did a water change) were all nearly at 0 so have shot up in the last couple of days...But again if what I'm reading is right, then this is normal for a new tank?

It's normal for a new tank which is cycling. You need to remove your Axolotls while cycling, otherwise they are exposed to Ammonia and Nitrites which causes fungus and stress, even death if left exposed to a high amount of Ammonia or Nitrites for too long.

You can use fish food, pellets, or even pure Ammonia which you can purchase from Amazon to provide a source of Ammonia, while keeping your Axolotls in separate containers performing daily water changes with dechlorinated water.

This is the best way to cycle your tank. You can already see that your Axolotl has fungus, the tail wound could develop fungus as well, your water quality while cycling is not safe for Axolotls.

Read this current live thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/105507-new-owner-cycling-help.html#post461143

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back