Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Copper genetics?

Margie

Reaction score
Here's a batch of juveniles from a cross between a copper and a wild het copper. I'm thinking the lighter ones are leucistic coppers. Any thoughts on other possibilities?

Attachments

• coppersMar16.jpg
    coppersMar16.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 2,853

auntiejude

Reaction score
Copper is a distinct genetic trait - a simple recessive the same as albino etc.

What you have there is a mixture of coppers and wildtypes - about 50/50.

Margie

Reaction score
Copper is a distinct genetic trait - a simple recessive the same as albino etc.

What you have there is a mixture of coppers and wildtypes - about 50/50.

Leucism can be present in combination with any color, including copper. Which is why I'm thinking these might be leucistic coppers.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Do you know for certain that there are leucisitc genes in both parents?
If they did you would see at least some white leucistics, so unless you have some other colours I doubt you have copper leucies (which TBH look pretty much the same as regular leucies).

Margie

Reaction score
Do you know for certain that there are leucisitc genes in both parents?
If they did you would see at least some white leucistics, so unless you have some other colours I doubt you have copper leucies (which TBH look pretty much the same as regular leucies).

Yes, there were "white" leucistics in this batch, as well as normal looking wilds.

NaterPotater

Reaction score
Leucism tends to cancel out other coloration, like a less extreme version of albinism. You could definitely have a light-colored copper, just like you can have light or dark colored wild types. I don't think you can truly have a leucistic copper though because leucism blocks the dark pigment from spreading throughout the body. You can't have a "leucistic wild type." You can have an axolotl that is leucistic and wild type for all the other coloration genes, but it can't be white and non-white at the same time. The only way leucism can go hand-in-hand with another coloration is if the other morphology doesn't make the axolotl non-white. It can be leucistic and albino, or leucistic and melanoid since melanism only technically affects the shiny iridophores, but there aren't really a whole lot of other combinations with leucism (at least not very often).

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Leucistic coppers have lighter colored freckles. So, yes, leucistic copper is a thing.

Margie

Reaction score
Both the lighter and darker versions in the photo have a reddish pupil in the eye. Another reason why I think they're all coppers.

Does anyone know if the hypomelanism gene occurs in axolotls? If so, maybe the lighter ones are hypo coppers.

LoriML

Reaction score
I just realized I commented on this post about copper leucistics, and come to find out I had 3 in my last clutch also. Mine are leucistic in body, no freckles at all, ring around the eyes, with red pupil. Perhaps these are more common than I previously thought.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1