Carpet Substrate?

faultymechanics

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been battling with what substrate I want to use. I'd like to own juveniles so sand wont be possible. This leads me to my question.

I have found some places that offer moss in big squares which seem to have attached themselves to a mesh. Could I line the bottom of my tank with these squares as a substrate?

At first I figured cleaning would be an issue but everything that lands on it would be fertilizer for the moss.

I also believe the moss wouldn't pose any danger to the little axies.

Any input would be great!

In general, it is wise to be very leery of adding anything not intended for aquarium use into a tank for axolotls. (And some aquarium-safe things aren't safe for axolotls either, since they don't have scales to protect their bodies.)

Having said that, I know there was a fad in at least one facebook group to add putting-green-type carpet to the bottom. If you are on face book, you might join https://www.facebook.com/groups/axolotl.aholics/ and ask about alternative non-sand substrates. Just think things through very carefully ahead of time before deciding if you want to risk adding anything not intended for aquariums, and remember, different brands (or different production runs) of anything could release different substances into the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back