Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fungal infection?

LozHodge

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Axolotl newbie here so I'm probably going to frustrate a lot of you! I apologise in advance but I really want to increase my knowledge on axolotl husbandry so my Wooper can be the happiest it can be.
Firstly I asked A LOT of questions in the pet shop I got him/her from (might need some help on sexing too!) I asked about filtration, temperature, how much to feed it etc etc as I had no idea what to do. Unfortunately, after stalking this forum for the past week, I realise I may have been told a load of rubbish. I was told any filter was fine, however after noticing how sedentary Wooper was and a lack of appetite, this is clearly not the case. I've since turned off the filter and Wooper has been eating a lot more and been a lot more active, so I was thinking about getting one of those porous stones that can oxygenate the water (anyone know if these are any good?) I was recommended to buy a tank I realise it is soooo so too small (don't worry, replacing tank tomorrow) and was also told it was fine to have a fishy friend in the tank with Wooper... Again, this is not the case and I'll be returning our poor fishy on Monday. I don't want everyone thinking I don't care, the pet shop was very ill informed and I feel really sorry for poor Wooper as he must have had a really stressful week.
After learning all this info I'm making sure to keep him/her a lot happier, but I have noticed woopers back leg is looking a little gammy. The back leg has been weird since we got Wooper but now after realising how much stress he/she's been under I was wondering what you guys thought:

image.jpg

I know how to help if it is a fungal infection, but I'm unsure whether this is just the regeneration happening??

I would also be grateful of any info on what to feed Wooper, and how much to feed him/her. The guy at the pet store told us to buy a bag of frozen prawns and defrost one a day but obviously every other bit of info I got from the store is really bad. All info I get here I will pass on to the store when I go to return the fish as I feel so bad I've put Wooper in these stressful conditions :-(

LSuzuki

Reaction score
It is always very sad when a conscientious pet owner gets told a lot of bad info. :( We will help you the best you can.

I'm writing a lot of stuff here ... it is a lot to absorb. The "what you should do right now" is at the bottom, but if you don't understand the "why" you are likely to make serious mistakes in the future.

First, the picture. Yeah, something is not right, but it doesn't look fuzzy to me. Does it look fuzzy to you? (If it is fuzzy, it is fungus.) From the picture, it looks like it is shedding it's slime coat, maybe. It doesn't look serious (yet). For just about anything that is not serious, the best treatment is to make sure your axie is in the best conditions possible. But you knew that - that is why you are asking. :happy:

Best conditions for an axolotl: cool, calm water without ammonia or nitrite and with nitrate below 40 ppm. (Obviously, you don't want other contaminants either, but unless you add non-aquarium safe things to your tank, that usually isn't' a problem.) They are tolerant of a wide range of pH, so almost always tap water is fine. They prefer hard water, but don't start changing water parameters until your tank is all stablized AND you have enough knowledge to know if it is even necessary. (It usually isn't.)

Important information you weren't given (I know you weren't given this info or you would not have taken the filter out), information on "the cycle":

1. Ammonia (produced by axolotls and decaying organic matter) is toxic, but the toxicity is dependent on water pH. High pH = ammonia more toxic.

2. Bacteria that eat ammonia will colonize the surfaces of your aquarium and decorations, etc. It takes a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, these bacteria eat the ammonia and then produce nitrite. Nitrite is also toxic.

3. Bacteria that eat nitrite will also colonize the aquarium, and it also takes a couple more weeks. They produce nitrate, which is less toxic. Too much nitrate will stress your axolotl, and is associated with fungus outbreaks.

4. The nitrate is removed by water changes. It is also removed by plants, but that doesn't eliminate water changes.

5. This growth of good bacteria is called "the cycle", and if they die for whatever reason, they say "the cycle crashed."

6. Filters provide much more surface area for good bacteria to grow on and a steady flow of water to the bacteria. Some people can keep aquariums without any filter, but it is risky.

=== what to do right now starts here ===
OK, now to the what-to-do-right-now stuff. You have a brand-new, too small tank and was given bad advice. Almost definitely, your ammonia is rising and will hit dangerous levels soon. (It may be a partial cause of the weirdness on the leg.) Since you didn't mention it, I doubt you have a test kit. So,
=> Do a very large water change (like, 90%) right now using the water conditioner you bought, with water the same temperature as it in the tank. (If you were not sold a water conditioner, buy one first - you don't what the chlorine hurting your axie either.)

=== what to do next ===
Now, your axie should be in safe enough water that you can take a deep breath and start learning more.

You need a filter. (Very few new keepers are successful without one, and few experience keepers would want to try a filter-less setup either.) Do NOT just turn your old one on - if it has been off too long, nasty anaerobic bacteria have been at work creating toxic substances. Tell us what kind you have and we can help you decide if there is a way you can use it or if you need a new one. If you can use it, clean it out before you use it.

You need a test kit. Get the liquid kind - more expensive at first, but more accurate and lasts longer, so cheaper in the long run.

You need to cycle your tank. You can do it fishless (and keep your axie in a container for several weeks.) or with you axolotl in the tank (which will require frequent testing and water changes to keep the tank safe enough for the axie.) If you didn't have your axie yet, then "fishless" is always the way to go, but since you do, which choice depends on many things, like, do you have a place you can keep the container safe from children, cats, etc. Either way you go, your axolotl will be getting exposed to some amount of ammonia until your tank is cycled.

Food is important, too, of course. But the critical thing right now is getting your axolotl in safe water. Prawns are not the best "staple" diet (earthworms/night crawlers or carnivore pellets are), but don't stress about the food right now. Water is more important sort-term.

AxolotlChris has lots of posts with links to cycling instructions. You can also google "fishless cycle" and find lots more. Some people understand one explanation better that another even if they are equally correct, so keep looking/asking until you understand.

If seems hard in the beginning, but once your tank is all cycled, things are pretty easy. :happy:

LozHodge

Reaction score
Thank you sooo so much for taking time to write all that! Good news tough, the leg isn't fuzzy!!! Looks a little weird but as long as it's ~probably~ not fungus it's a relief. I'll keep a very close watch on it!!
We have been changing about 15% of the water every other day but have done a big water change now. We're getting the big tank tomorrow, so we're thinking the filter won't be so extreme in there? The filter we have is a 'super fish Aqua flow 50', does that mean anything to you? Whenever Wooper swims up we worry about him getting whacked by the stream and damaging his gills :-( It seems to be really strong although in our small tank that's bound to happen, unless you have a gentler filter you can recommend?
And I'm sorry I'm so badly informed but I have no idea what kind of test to get,, I'm not even sure what to search online! Is there anything you can direct me to that I can buy?
I think it's best we cycle the tank wth Wooper in it but you can be rest assured I will test and change the water as much as required! I will read up on axolotlchris stuff tonight.
Thank you again for all your advice and sorry for hassling you for more info! I just can't believe how much there is to do when the guy in the pet shop was so nonchalant! Grrrrr

LSuzuki

Reaction score
What size tank are you getting? Also, how long is your axolotl?

The rule of thumb for a roomy tank for adult axolotls is, number of axolotls times 10 gallons plus 10 gallons. So, for a single axie, 20 gal = about 75 L. But if your axie is small, a smaller tank is fine to start with.

The rule of thumb for a filter for an axolotl tank is you want it to filter 4 times the volume of the tank per hour. So for a 75 L tank, you would want one that filters 300 L per hour. (The filter you have filters 100 L per hour, if I googled right.) And here we come to an annoyance: axolotls need lots of filtration but low water movement. What most owners do is use a spray bar on a filter like the one you have and aim it at the side of the tank to diffuse the flow. Other options are filters like sponge filters or adding obstacles in front of the flow to diffuse it.

This is the test kit that is most recommended: Welcome to API Fishcare: FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT

LozHodge

Reaction score
I'm not sure how big the tank is atm, my boyfriend has assured me it will be big enough for Wooper. Have put him in a small container for the mean time and keeping him nice and cold which will be his home for the next few weeks whilst the new tank cycles (after reading up on cycling, fishless seems a lot better even though I feel bad on Wooper and his tiny new home :-() Wooper is about 4.5" long.

Well well buy a new filter and spray bar on Monday once the new tank has arrived. Axies are a lot more effort to care for than o first imagined but sooo worth it, they're just so cool!!

Thanks again for all your help, my boyfriend, Wooper and I are greatly appreciative!!

LSuzuki

Reaction score
4.5" is a good size to keep in a container As they get bigger, it gets harder. Make sure to change all the water at least once or twice a day and whenever there is poop (depends on the size of the container and axolotl). You can use your too-small tank for water storage - condition it and let the temperature equalize, and scoop out what you need for water changes.

Good luck!

LozHodge

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help Laura, unfortunately we decided it was best for Wooper if we sent him back to the pet shop :-( the new tank we got still wasn't big enough and was in pretty bad condition and we don't really have the money to be buying a nice new tank. We're really sad but it was the best thing to do and we made sure to let the pet shop know all our new info. We'll definitely get a couple of axolotls when we move and have the cash but it's just not a good time! Thanks for all your help though :)

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
If your interested in getting an Axolotl in the future, read these websites so you are fully aware of everything needed. Doing things the right way, is the best way.
Sounds like the pet shop you got him from has no clue on what they are doing. Would be better to sell your Axolotl to someone that can actually taker care of him correctly.

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Axolotl Articles
Axolotl Sanctuary

Read these enough and you will have the knowledge to care for an Axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!