Illness/Sickness: Fire belly newt with enlarged eye

Nelda

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nelda
I have a 20 year old fire belly newt. Over the past year her eye as become enlarged, and continues to get bigger. I have taken her/him to the vet and they do not have an explanation. Does anyone have any insight? Thank you

Attachments

• nelda.JPG
    nelda.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the site!
That's quite a swelling! It looks like a tumour or abscess of some kind. The only way to be certain is to try and find a vet that is experienced in treating amphibians. It might be worth calling up a few local vet surgeries and asking them if there's anybody they could recommend, they often do, that's how I found my exotics vet.
Congratulations on having such a long lived newt, I'd love to see some more pictures of her. :)

Thank you Chinadog. I did take her to an exotic vet. I am not sure they were that experienced with newts, as I am sure a lot of people do not take them to the vet. They gave me drops for the eye and vitamin C for her, which did not seem to help. She is up and about and still eats a good amount. I just hope she is not in pain. I will search for another vet. Here are some more pics. Thank you for the reply.

Sorry,w/ pics

Attachments

• IMG_3139.JPG
    IMG_3139.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3137.JPG
    IMG_3137.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 105
If you cannot find a more newt savvy vet, it may be worth while to return to the original exotics vet and request a cytology (if they did not do this initially). The cytology should give information like if it's a malignancy, infectious, etc. However, I appreciate that newts are small animals and it may be difficult to get a good sample for microscopic evaluation but I think at least calling the vet and asking if they would be willing to try would be beneficial.

As far as the newt being in pain - Florida Atlantic University's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) has a paper that I found on line that states signs of mild to moderate pain/ distress in amphibians as "Decrease in avoidance behavior (e.g. when approached), abnormal behavior, reduced food/water intake, closed eyes, color changes" and signs of severe or chronic pain/ distress as "Movement aversion, lethargy, closed eyes, anorexia, color changes, flicking with extremities or biting of affected area, lameness and ataxia, accelerated breathing" I don't know how much this applies to caudates in particular, but if your newt maintains a good weight and continues about with its normal activity, I would venture to guess that it is at least reasonably comfortable.

I hope you can get a diagnosis! Please keep us updated as to your animals progress and I wish you the best of luck.

HJ

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back