Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: URGENT - Diagnosis needed

stevenwignet

Reaction score
Any idea why the axolotl does this, says at top, takes gulps of air and gills very red and looks annoyed.
is it a gas bubble?, constipation or something else?
how can this be solved?, fridge or lower water?
By the way the water stats are all fine so no issues with quality.

video may have to be rotated 90d right to view properly
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wivr4paq9i0emi7/IMG_310dddd2.MOV?dl=0

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Come on. Steven - you aren't new. By this point, you know we are going to ask you what the water parameters are anyhow, so just go ahead and type "0 ppm ammonia" etc. ;)

Nice looking axolotl. :happy: Except for being floaty, she (I'm assuming she is old enough to sex) looks great.

How long has this been going on? Since she looks great, and presumably the parameters are OK, I would say not to treat for at leas a couple of days, to see if it resolves on it's own. Fridging is stressful.

Lowering the water would help her feel more comfortable, maybe, or maybe a platform the is below water lever but near the top for you to put food on? You might want to feed her by hand. I think some people recommend a hide she could climb under, but she seems to be having a very hard time getting down.

If it continues for a few days, she is probably constipated and needs a stay in the fridge. See the fridging guide. Be very careful of temperature - too cold is very bad!

stevenwignet

Reaction score
am actually thinking the change in season and different temps are an issue thats cauisng it, so far in past week, its been sunny, raining and today snow so outside temps varied and of course it affects inside temps too.

only 8 month old so too early to sex

xxianxx

Reaction score
Looks in good condition. You saw it gulping air, axolotls do this to maintain their position in the water column, if it wanted to descend it would release some. From the clip I wouldn't say it was in any distress or having probs trying to descend, it was where it wanted to be. It was very active though, if the water and temp are fine I wouldn't be too concerned ATM. It does look very chunky, possibly gravid, at eight months this is not unusual, try feeding it a couple of worms extra, it may just be after food. Red gills can just be a sign of activity, an increased blood flow to get more oxygen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!