Question: Food for newly hatched California newts? URGENT

redwoodtree

Reaction score
Country
United States
My California newt eggs just hatched today and yesterday, and I'm panicking because the brine shrimp eggs I ordered won't come until Tuesday. (plus I need at least an extra day to hatch them)

Does anyone know what I can feed them for now? I tried chopping up tubifex worms (the aquarium shop guy suggested them), but the tadpoles won't eat them. Is this because they're still too young or the worms are too big?

Please help before they die! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

No experience with California newts, but generally freshly hatched salamander & newt larvae have a yolk they feed off of for the first few days and don't feed until the yolk is gone.

If they still haven't come by that time, you can sweep any local ponds for very small aquatic foods. You just need a net with very small holes. Make sure you remove anything you catch that might be dangerous to the larvae: water beetles, dragonfly nymphs, etc. And realize you could possibly introduce a disease to your tanks.

Thanks for the info!

Also, should I move them back to the original tank because there's probably food for them in the water? I have a few white cloud mountain minnows in the tank. Do you think they would eat the newt larvae?

White cloud minnows probably would. I'd move them, and if you can, the adults too. They'd gladly take a small, defenseless newt larvae. If not, be prepared to lose a few larvae to the adults unless you have a large amount of live plants in their tank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back