Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Canadian Axolotl Keeper

LeucisticLuna

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a new axolotl keeper from western canada. A local breeder just had 2 batches of beautiful babies come available and after years of drooling over them online I thought it was a great opportunity to join the hobby.

I have a GFP Leucistic juvenile about 3" body legnth, 4.5" tail length (not sure how measurements in axies are typically given). Eating well on bloodworms daily and settled in nicely over the past few days to all accounts.

I'm an experienced ranchu goldfish keeper, but do have some axie and set up questions specific to my situation that I'll post in the appropriate section shortly. Until then I thought I'd post some photos and extend my sincerest thanks for all of the information shared here that I've learned so much from while preparing!

See you around,
-Amy

0afd21b60fe6b2497f913b1d7c9f52ba.jpg

7793d1df51b274358ba2c50ec7947eaf.jpg

8bbf4dd0089650e5e0b05a4408142124.jpg

47629cc0bf771f6320503ee7f02e1f8a.jpg

782ca59f0e906293cbe595fa58191b01.jpg

LeucisticLuna

Reaction score
Thank you! I had no clue he/she was a GFP until I turned on the UV light by my bed and glowed bright green. I researched it, then messaged the breeder and she said both parents were GFP so I was pretty excited :)

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1