Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie Stacks?? Social behavior?

Do your axies stack?

• Yes, very often.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • On rare occasions.

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Never.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • They hate each other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MoniWonton

Reaction score
Hey yal. So part of the reason I bought two axies instead on one is because, the ought online research, I was under the impression axolotls were somewhat social creatures and would enjoy lounging about on top of one another. My axies are both around 3-4 months old I believe (between 5-6 inches), and they pretty much ignore one another. In fact, it appears they actually AVOID each other and stay at opposite sides of my 26 gallon tank. They swim away from one another if their paths ever cross...

Does axolotl social behavior develop more as they grow older?
Will my axies ever rest in an adorable stack?
Do axie stacks happen more during adult hood?

LSuzuki

Reaction score
I think it happens more at adulthood since they are bigger. I don't think it is really a social behavior - more of, "there is another object where I want to be - I'll climb on top of it." Mine tend to stack where food comes into the tank.

However, some reputable long-term keepers have reported behavior that would indicate that axolotls, while not social in the classic sense, miss an absent tank mate. So it is possible that some axolotls take some comfort in another's presence. Mine are perfectly willing to share a hide, even if an empty one is nearby.

I suspect that yours associate a moving tank mate with being nip (mistaken with food), and so are a bit skittish around each other. I suspect they will get less skittish as they get older.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Axies are not social creatures by nature, in fact they are cannibalistic and often actively avoid other axies.
You can keep more than one in a tank together, but they will choose whether to interact or not. Usually a stack is just because that's where the best conditions are in the tank and they all want to be in the same place.
But once axies get used to their tank mate and recognise there is no threat or competition they may interact more.

MoniWonton

Reaction score
Yeah I hope mine eventually become more comfortable with one another. They never act aggressively towards one another. I use a turkey baster to feed them separately to avoid nips. I just really enjoy the cute-factor of axie stacks... Even it it doesn't genuinely mean they enjoy one another's company... It's just plain cute!

NaterPotater

Reaction score
I have 3 siblings from the same clutch in a tank together. They interact with each other fairly often (when I first got them they nipped at each other a lot, but they hardly ever do that now). Every once in a while I see them stack, but it's hard to tell whether it's intentional or not. haha. One of them will be swimming above another and then just stop, sink slowly, and land on the other. The one that suddenly gets landed on almost never seems to mind though. They'll stay like that for a little bit until one of them moves away for one reason or another.

Love them lotls

Reaction score
I have 4 female lotls and they seem to really enjoy each other's company. They share hides, even though there are others to be in and they my smallest one, seems drawn to my biggest, and likes to stack on top of her :happy:

Attachments

• 542245_10154086512533846_8452605840812732604_n.jpg
    542245_10154086512533846_8452605840812732604_n.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 9,628

Donna001

Reaction score
That's so cute.
My juveniles don't stack and are rarely in the same place as each other.
My older juveniles/almost adults occasionally stack, probably by accident, but do all tend to try to squeeze into the same hide, even though there are others.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1