Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Safe plants for axolotls?

JadeAnnette

Reaction score
So I have about 9 plants in my tank. I got six from the pet shop and two from my Nans. There's one I'm concerned about and two I'm just double checking.
I have sand substrate if that makes a difference to plant life.
First the palm, I got it from the pet shop and it looked good at first but now it seems to be, uh, decomposing? It's going weird see through and brown, it looks like it's dieing :/
Second and third ones I got from my Nans, they're not doing anything weird I just want to make sure it's safe :)

I'm still not sure how to attach numerous photos on the messages so I'll upload them in the comments in the order that I said them :p

JadeAnnette

Reaction score
The palm, also I know my temperature is too high my axies are in a container at the moment because I have to cycle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 195

JadeAnnette

Reaction score
This one grows off itself? I guess, that's the only way I can describe it, I took these smaller bits off, it's actually two. (The green and white one)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 178

JadeAnnette

Reaction score
Last but not least, I rescued this little beauty from my nans :p it seems to be doing great in the water and now hates being out of it(leaves start to curl) you can see the light and dark green leaves but it's hard to see in the photo that the backs of them are purple

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 162

CocoaAndTea

Reaction score
Sorry for riding on this post, but are there any plants that are toxic to ambystroma¿

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

CocoaAndTea

Reaction score
Sorry for riding on this post, but are there any plants that are toxic to ambystroma¿

Oh shoot sorry I thought the pictures were of other people. I know java moss is OK though.

CocoaAndTea

Reaction score
What is terrestrial? (Sorry I feel dumb for asking :( )
Have you seen the bonsai java trees? :D they're amazing! :D
Meaning fully on land. I am getting a tiger salamander, in the same genus (ambystroma)(?) as axolotols and look very similar in its juvie stage, and from the start of their life are fully aquatic/neotonic and sometimes even stay that way. Mine did not. I'm no expert but I've been studying the heck out of this site, as well as a few others.

The bonsai ones look amazing! In the future when I get axolotols I will definitely get some :-: I wonder if they can grow on land.

JadeAnnette

Reaction score
Meaning fully on land. I am getting a tiger salamander, in the same genus (ambystroma)(?) as axolotols and look very similar in its juvie stage, and from the start of their life are fully aquatic/neotonic and sometimes even stay that way. Mine did not. I'm no expert but I've been studying the heck out of this site, as well as a few others.

The bonsai ones look amazing! In the future when I get axolotols I will definitely get some :-: I wonder if they can grow on land.

Oooooh hahaha sorry :D that's pretty cool :3

They really do! I'm definitely doing it soon! I'm going to see ☺️

JadeAnnette

Reaction score
You can! I only had a quick look but I assume you'd just need to keep the moss a little moist :D if you try it can you please send me photos! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1