Ready to pop.... please dont!!

Splisyaxis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sploshyaxi
Hey all. Im a newbie here and axi owner. Had my 2 about 6 weeks. Rescued them from a bad home. Theyre still small but i knlw theyre over a year old and theyre growing so fast ok their new diet. Im pretty sure i have a male and female from everything ive read (male albino/ female natural type). savig up for a bigger tank at the moment and not keen to seperate anyway but my naturals showing all the signs of sexual maturity and has a plump belly, eatting alot and quite active. How ever i dont think my male is sexual mature yet.

Anyway long story short, how would i stop her from laying eggs? Is there a way or do i let it happen and scoop.them out?

When you say 'natural type' I presume you mean Wild Type?

Also, it is not necessarily always easy to tell if an Axolotl has reached sexual maturity, but it is usually between the age of 8 months to 1 year, but their living environment and diet can affect this.

Male Axolotls have a larger cloaca, which appears as a 'bulge'. Where as females cloaca is smaller and less prominent.

male_cloaca2.jpg Male

female_cloaca.jpg Female

Axolotls - Biology

If one is male and one is female, there are only really three options:

1. Keep them in separate tanks.

2. Place a sturdy divider in the center of your tank.
( This will hopefully stop the female from picking up the males spermatophores )
DIY Dividers - Betta Splendid

3. Allow them to breed and remove the eggs form the tank.
( If you allow your Female to lay eggs too often this can reduce life span, and cause stress )
Axolotls - Breeding Axolotls Successfully

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

The other possibility, which I can say from experience as I look across at one of my tanks, perhaps the wild type has a much bigger appetite than the others. All 3 of my juveniles (1 wild type and 2 coppers) were the same size when bought together and are less than 6 months old now. None are showing any signs of maturity. My wild type is now around 2-3cm bigger than the coppers and has quite a tubby tummy. I have to limit what it eats because otherwise it will eat until it is sick.

Perhaps yours is just making up for lost time when housed in a less pleasant environment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back