Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Setup?

Jack P

Reaction score
Hey guys! I am new to the amphibian community but have always kept reptiles. Anyways... I am wondering if i got 2 or 3 baby axolotls, could i keep them in a 50g tank? i know that is big enough, but is it too big? also i am just about to start cycling so if you have any tips on how I should start, recommended filters, substrate, or anything else, it is greatly appreciated!

Stay honest, Stay yourself, and don't let anyone take those away from you. Someone loves you and if you change to fit someone else's needs, that isn't fair for anyone so stay strong!

Boston Strong! - Jack

Kilolotlkeeper

Reaction score
How big are the babies jack? I'm not sure you can get too big. A good substrate would be sand but you can keep the tank bare! A good filter is a sponge filter, good on the wallet too. Any filter with a very minute flow rate. Keep the tank oxygenated with an air stone or bubble wall. Don't forget to keep the tank cool with the highest temperature being 70 degrees Fahrenheit. They can survive 6 degrees Celsius waters so don't worry about getting too cold. Depending on how big they are they should be eating either bloodworms or earthworms if they are capable of eating them. 50 gal is plenty big enough for 2-3 axolotls. Make sure the water level isn't too high for the babies. If there is anything I didn't cover feel free to ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NaterPotater

Reaction score
With babies in a tank that big, just be sure to try hand feeding rather than just putting food in there for them to find. It may take them a while to find it! haha. Also, I agree with Killian here--don't worry about filling it to the top yet. Fill it probably halfway when they're little and all the way to the top once they're 5 or 6 inches long. Also, for babies it's best to not use sand yet. Bare-bottom tanks are totally fine.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
You would be best raising the smaller juveniles in large plastic containers, this way you can feed easily, increasing growth rate, and it will be much easier to perform water changes. Cycling can take 3-6 weeks, so this would allow your juveniles time to grow larger for when your tank is fully setup and cycled.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/axolotlchris/albums/axolotl/38275-basic-setup/

This thread should shed some light on the basics of getting started: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f59-axolotl-tank-set-ups-filters-substrate/104649-planning-future-axolotls-wanna-help-me.html#post456362

For more information on housing and cycling read these articles/websites thoroughly:

Housing / Requirements

Caudata Culture Articles - Setups, Aquatic

Axolotls - Housing in Captivity

Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates

Caudata Culture Articles - Filters

Cycling

Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Feeding

Caudata Culture Articles - Worms

Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates

Donna001

Reaction score
I have a 200 litre (approx. 50gal) tank housing 3 juveniles. They went in (end of January)when they were around 3 months old and although all 3 favour one end of the tank, they do seem to appreciate having a bit of space to swim around or go for a walk occasionally. I cycled the tank with a sand substrate because I was going to use it for fish. After deciding on axolotls I covered most of the sand with flat rock and a large piece of slate. Now they are older most of the rocks have been removed and they mainly have sand. The slate is still in the tank and is used as a feeding area, which was quite useful when they were eating bloodworms. They are now on a mixture of mainly earthworms, with occasional prawns & bloodworms.:happy:

Jack P

Reaction score
You would be best raising the smaller juveniles in large plastic containers, this way you can feed easily, increasing growth rate, and it will be much easier to perform water changes. Cycling can take 3-6 weeks, so this would allow your juveniles time to grow larger for when your tank is fully setup and cycled.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/axolotlchris/albums/axolotl/38275-basic-setup/

This thread should shed some light on the basics of getting started: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f59-axolotl-tank-set-ups-filters-substrate/104649-planning-future-axolotls-wanna-help-me.html#post456362

For more information on housing and cycling read these articles/websites thoroughly:

Housing / Requirements

Caudata Culture Articles - Setups, Aquatic

Axolotls - Housing in Captivity

Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity

Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates

Caudata Culture Articles - Filters

Cycling

Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

Feeding

Caudata Culture Articles - Worms

Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates

Oh my! thanks for all of these links! They were all so useful! I was just wondering one thing though... I dont have a lid but am not really worried about an axolotl escaping... I was wondering if i needed a lid or am fin without one?

Thanka, Jack

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
No problem!

If your talking about a lid for the plastic containers then you can put holes in the containers original lid, or use mesh wire to lay over the top.

Jack P

Reaction score
No problem!

If your talking about a lid for the plastic containers then you can put holes in the containers original lid, or use mesh wire to lay over the top.

Well its actually a fish tank and didn't come with a lid... What should I do? is one really needed

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Oh right for your tank. Yes to be safe you would need some sort of lid since if the tank is full there is a chance Axolotls can leap out of the water. Mesh lid is best to allow evaporation to keep the water cool

blushed

Reaction score
Well its actually a fish tank and didn't come with a lid... What should I do? is one really needed

Oh right for your tank. Yes to be safe you would need some sort of lid since if the tank is full there is a chance Axolotls can leap out of the water. Mesh lid is best to allow evaporation to keep the water cool

I'd agree to use a lid.

My axolotl got spooked once and almost jumped out while the lid was off... It was terrifying!

I use a normal aquarium hood, the water evaporates so quickly at my house it doesn't matter, and I don't want dust or debris harmful to my axxie getting into the water. My personal choice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttmf

Reaction score
I use egg crate also known as light diffusers for my tanks. They're plastic and can be bought at hardware stores and can be easily cut to fit with utility scissors or diagonal cutters. They fit pretty flush with the frame of the tank when sitting on the inner lip. They're sturdy enough to hold a light fixture and or fan if needed.
Egg_Crate_Core_Aluminum_Egg_Crate.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1