Black worms in tank

Aron1234

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Gage Haldeman
I have a pair of crested newts in a tank with sand and plenty of plants I feed them live blackworms and most of them get into the sand. I have and Bowlin the tank to feed them out of and this still happens. How do you feed yours without this happening or do you just let them go

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ceramic feeding dish.. turkey baster.. BOOM! neat and tidy blackworm serving platter.

Hi Gage,

A few rogue black worms in your tank won't be too problematic and may even provide some enrichment for your newts as it gives them the opportunity to scavenge and hunt as they would do in the wild. But the worms will add to your bio load so if many escape that can be a problem (and I don't really know "how many" is too many. I think that will just have to be a judgement call on your end as you monitor water quality).

A deeper dish is a good way to start, but many people use "feeding jars," glass jars on their side that the worms are placed in and the newts learn to crawl into the jar to eat the worms. Another option is clearing away substrate from one area of the aquarium and placing the worms there. Worms will still crawl around, but newts are not dumb and will learn that the clear area is where food appears. Your newts will congregate there when they smell food and most of the worms will probably be consumed before they get too far. And those that make their way to hiding spots can then become "enrichment" as discussed above :)

HJ

Hi Gage,

A few rogue black worms in your tank won't be too problematic and may even provide some enrichment for your newts as it gives them the opportunity to scavenge and hunt as they would do in the wild. But the worms will add to your bio load so if many escape that can be a problem (and I don't really know "how many" is too many. I think that will just have to be a judgement call on your end as you monitor water quality).

A deeper dish is a good way to start, but many people use "feeding jars," glass jars on their side that the worms are placed in and the newts learn to crawl into the jar to eat the worms. Another option is clearing away substrate from one area of the aquarium and placing the worms there. Worms will still crawl around, but newts are not dumb and will learn that the clear area is where food appears. Your newts will congregate there when they smell food and most of the worms will probably be consumed before they get too far. And those that make their way to hiding spots can then become "enrichment" as discussed above :)

HJ
Thank you I will definitely do some changing up to feeding now

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back