Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Convincing Parents To Let You Get Axolotls

Jack P

Reaction score
Well I had to convince my parents for a very long time to let me get some axolotls! It can be really frustrating but the first thing that you are going to have to do is stay calm, and make an account on this website if you haven't already! You will learn tons about axolotls and that will help in the next series of steps!

1.) Make a power point or a google docs that says why you should get axolotls, how to care for them, and how your going to earn money to pay for them.

Parents will most likely think that you will lose interest in axolotls very fast so you have to prove that your responsible by doing chores consistently or care for a pet that you have now and make that your responsibility.

2.) Show your parents the youtube video called "Growing Axolotls" By threeleaves

This video will make your parents fall inlove with axies and want them for themselves!

3.) ask (calmly) why you cant get them if they still are saying no.

Remember that it is there house, and you cant change that so the decision is always going to be theres! All that you need to do is keep your grades up, do tons of research and inform your parents on why axolotls are so great. You may need to stay calm headed and keep your head up but after a while, your parents will be begging you to get them!

4.) care for your axolotls and slowly keep adding to your collection. Dont start at a great number fast because this could be alot of work and get you parents mad. Just stay calm and please comment if this helped you!

Thanks guys, Jack

Comment what helped you if you had similar situations!

Kilolotlkeeper

Reaction score
lol my mom didn't want me to get any so I just started buying the materials despite her no's. Finally I bought the axolotl. Now she is in love with my oldest and doesn't care if I get more. Not the best approach but as long as you consistently show responsibility it all works out ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

auntiejude

Reaction score
I would also advocate getting parents to talk to a breeder or experienced keeper. And any youngster should try and find a local mentor they can contact and talk to.

I have mentored several people - both kids and adults - through setting up and taking on their first axie.

Klakasharkie

Reaction score
I mentioned wanting one in passing.... Then as I stopped at petco on my way home from work there was a surprise lotl!! I haaaad to have it right then. I took it home.... And then I told my mom... Lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1