Advice for sick baby axolotl (looks bad)

FireStar

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Kim
Two weeks ago, I acquired 4 sickly baby axolotls to raise back to health.
They were very weak and thin.

I've been feeding them bloodworms 2-3 times a day (in the beginning they were only eating 1 bloodworm a session). Three of them have responded well. One has doubled in size and two are coming along nicely.

However, the white one, which was the basically skin and bone has taken a bad turn.
Up to two days ago, it was eating at least a couple bloodworms a day, but now it has stopped eating. I've separated it and have noticed that it hasn't pooped, but there is a black patch in near its anal region, I'm wondering if its stuck (not gravel related).

I'm not sure if you can see what I mean about the stuck poop in the photo. (For the record, that's not where the axolotls are living, it was where I was keeping them while I were cleaning their container, however, it is were I have isolated the white axolotl too).

Should I fridge an axolotl that small and weak? What should I do to help it?

Attachments

• 20160317_161200.jpg
    20160317_161200.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 535
Please don't fridge an axolotl unless it is absolutely necessary. You just need to persevere with this little one - try any live food that he will respond to. Daphnia are a good option and will not affect the water.

Best of luck with your baby axolotls. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.
Best wishes for a positive outcome.
:happy:

I guess I though of fridging as a fix all solution.
Unfortunately the white axolotl died (I didn't fridge).

Thank you for both you guys informative and kind posts ^^

I am sorry to hear the bad news about the white baby axolotl.
You've done so well to keep the other three going considering they were all so sickly when you got them.
Take care.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back