My tank isn't cycling! :/

JadeAnnette

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
AxieDaxie
So I've had my axies in their tank for a while now and I'm 99% sure my tank isn't cycling! Last time I did my test I had ph about 7.2/7.6 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 0
I've had some water sitting with some left over food and it's full of ammonia(4.0pmm/8.0pmm), I was wondering if the best option was to get my axies out and put that ammonia filled water in the tank?
I have plants and some guppies that the axies have been eating when peckish, I also feed them blood worms and have recently(yesterday) given them earth worms. I have another thread about my axolotls colour changing gills(maybe to do with the water) if anyone can help me out there too

(I'm still new to this sight so please bare with me :/)

Last edited:
I'm having a bit of trouble cycling my tank as well, it's super frustrating but hang in there! :)
I would recommend that you take your Axies out during this process, because the high levels of ammonia and nitrite you'll experience as the cycle builds will be super stressful on them and might compromise their health!
I would also suggest to get your hands on some liquid ammonia! You can find it in the cleaner section of supermarkets and home hardware stores, just make sure it's pure ammonia and not a cleaning product with scent or detergent added.. It should be clear and when you shake it there should be no bubbles or foam! :")
It's easier to use a small amount of the ammonia (just a few drops, it's very concentrated!) because this is quite an accurate way to determine exactly how much ammonia you'll be putting in your tank!
So I'd say your best course of action would be to remove the Axies, add enough liquid ammonia to get your tank to around 2.0 ppm and then wait for it to convert to nitrites!
There are plenty of articles online and threads here regarding more accurate steps to cycle using liquid ammonia! :)
Good luck and keep us updated! <3

So I'm re-doing my water test and my ph is lighter than the 7.6 colour but not as green as the 7.2?
Ammonia is about 0.50ppm/1.0ppm
Nitrite is 0.25ppm
And nitrate is maybe 5.0ppm/10ppm
It is cycling! ☺️ but should I still take them out and put the ammonia water in the tank?

Your tank does appear to be cycling. You have two options. You can continue to cycle the tank with your axolotls in the tank or take both them and the guppies out and do a fishless cycle.

If you choose to do a fishless cycle, you would need to remove all aquatic life and place them in tubs of fresh dechlorinated water (replacing 100% water in the tubs daily). With no aquatic life in the tank, you can crank up the ammonia to 4ppm. You would only return the axolotls to the tank once it is fully cycled and water changes to bring nitrate down below 40ppm has been done.

If you choose to cycle the tank with the aquatic life in the tank, you would need to do more frequent water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite at 0.25ppm as you don't want to expose your axolotls or fish to harmful levels of ammonia or nitrite.

The choice is yours but whatever you choose, make sure you consider the welfare of the aquatic life as first priority. Personally, I prefer to use the fishless method as it is far less effort to change water in tubs daily than frequent water changes in a tank and I consider it to be far safer for aquatic life.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back