DIY power filter baffle ideas.

Foree

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Blake
Recently I became the proud owner of a large larval tiger salamander named Jabba.(I know he isn't an axolotl, but they require similar care while they are fully aquadic) I've set him up a tank and I have a power filter on the side and even though I have turned down the flow it's still causing a current that he doesn't like. I would like to know what other forum members have used as baffles. I have a loofah that I just bought from the store that I am considering using as a baffle to prevent the current. It would also double as biomedia for bacteria growth. The only downside is that since it is organic I will have to replace it when it starts to break down, which isn't that bad since it was only $2.00. I will post pictures of my tank set up later.

foree-albums-my-first-salamander-jabba-picture38461-shelf.jpg

foree-albums-my-first-salamander-jabba-picture38460-whole-set-up.jpg

foree-albums-my-first-salamander-jabba-picture38458-img-20160318-121136.jpg

Recently I became the proud owner of a large larval tiger salamander named Jabba.(I know he isn't an axolotl, but they require similar care while they are fully aquadic) I've set him up a tank and I have a power filter on the side and even though I have turned down the flow it's still causing a current that he doesn't like. I would like to know what other forum members have used as baffles. I have a loofah that I just bought from the store that I am considering using as a baffle to prevent the current. It would also double as biomedia for bacteria growth. The only downside is that since it is organic I will have to replace it when it starts to break down, which isn't that bad since it was only $2.00. I will post pictures of my tank set up later.

Is that a fushigi ball?? your set up is really cool. What temp do you keep the water?? Just wondering because I didn't know if the light out off any heat. For me, I use my net to throw off the current, I'll post a pic for your later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow there were a lot of typos in that sentence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that a fushigi ball?? your set up is really cool. What temp do you keep the water?? Just wondering because I didn't know if the light out off any heat.

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is a fushigi ball. I had forgotten what they were called, it was given to me as a gift many years ago and just sat on the shelf, so I put it to use. The temperature is just a bit cooler than room temperature, I don't have a thermometer in the tank yet, but I'm not worried about the lights they are LED's and from what I can tell they put off little to any heat at all. I need to see how well a net works in comparison, I'm gonna try out the loofa tomorrow when I have some time to work on the tank. I'm looking for something that is the most functional while not looking out of place.

The baffle so far is working wonderfuly. The current in the aquarium is pretty much nonexistant.

foree-albums-loofah-filter-baffle-biofilter-picture38466-here-before-picture-i-wish-i-had-way-show-amount-current-thing-producing-its-currently-its-lowest-setting.jpg

foree-albums-loofah-filter-baffle-biofilter-picture38467-i-cut-out-section-loofah-so-would-fit-under-filter.jpg

foree-albums-loofah-filter-baffle-biofilter-picture38468-cut-out-large-enough-section-sits-comfortably-under-outflow-filter.jpg

foree-albums-loofah-filter-baffle-biofilter-picture38469-im-using-piece-elastic-cotton-string-hold-loofah-place-wrapped-around-filter-i-will-probably-swap-something-more-water-resistant-furture.jpg

foree-albums-loofah-filter-baffle-biofilter-picture38470-here-loofah-place.jpg

foree-albums-loofah-filter-baffle-biofilter-picture38471-loofah-place-i-able-turn-filter-up-its-highest-setting.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back