Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie with a silly question

SydneyA

Reaction score
Hello!

I just got my first Juvenile from a local breeder. She has been dubbed "Buttercup" by my 4 year old. We are doing well on temps. She's currently in a cycled 10 gallon on black aquarium sand, said silica based, since my 30 gallon I had planned sprung a leak. She will likely move to a 20 next week.

My questions are mainly food related. If I get night crawlers, how do I feed them to her? Can she eat a live one or do I have to cut it up? She's about 5 inches long.

I'm overwhelmed by the best pellet. I have heard softer is better, I have heard salmon pellets, shrimp pellets? Also how often.

I just picked her up on Friday and I had just gotten home from emergency surgery and could barely move, but managed to drag myself to get her. I have been waiting since I was 11 to get one, lol. My kids love to look at her. Can someone tell by the pic what exactly she is? I think leutistic if I'm spelling it correctly. Thank you and hope to learn a lot here.

Attachments

• IMG_20160318_152843.jpg
    IMG_20160318_152843.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 127

Donna001

Reaction score
Adorable, that's what your axolotl is. :happy:
I'd say it was a leucistic. As far as food is concerned, you can cut food up, I cut up earthworms for mine. Mine also eat pellets and prawns. Sometimes it's a case of trying different foods, to make sure that they get a varied diet.
Good luck with your new cutie, keep us updated with your progress.
:happy:

SydneyA

Reaction score
Just got some cute pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20160321_121723.jpg
    IMG_20160321_121723.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20160321_121714.jpg
    IMG_20160321_121714.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20160321_121752.jpg
    IMG_20160321_121752.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 108

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
Your little guy is so cute! :")
Also, I think there's no such thing as a silly question! You're definitely in the right place to ask anything and I'm sure someone will be able to give you advice!

Like Donna001 said, you can cut up earthworms or just feed it sinking carnivore pellets! Mine are eating bloodworms right now but they're pretty young and bloodworms are not that nutritionally sound for an adult!
Good luck with little Buttercup! ?

Klakasharkie

Reaction score
What a picture perfect Leucy~! It looks like one of the axolotl stock photos that are the top results on google images^-^

Now is definitely the time you wanna be feeding nightcrawlers/worms and pellets. Since you're in the US, I can offer preeeeetty specific advice.

I don't know about petsmart, but petco, if you have one locally, sells Hikari sinking pellets. I have both crab cuisine and the carnivore ones. The crab cuisine pellets have a picture of a lotl on the back, actually, but they're really small compared to the carnivore ones, and I prefer to feed the carnivore ones (just make sure you suck out excess with a turkey baster!)

In addition, Wal-Mart sells live nightcrawlers in the bait section. Lotls tend to prefer nightcrawlers over red wigglers. Lift the lid before you buy though!!! At my local store, there are a lot where the worms are long dead and totally molded over, but you can find some good live ones~ I rinse mine off in a little bowl of water and feed them whole with tweezers. You should cut them up while Buttercup is that small, though!

I feed my adults one large nightcrawler a week and carnivore pellets in the days between and have never had issues keeping them healthy. As yours is still a juvie, you should feed every day or so. Shrimp pellets are the same thing as the crab cuisine I mentioned btw (I feed my shrimp the crab cuisine)

So!! Hikari carnivore pellets and live worms are what I recommend! ^_^ You can dig up your own worms alternatively, but be wary of pesticides and potential parasites. The walmart nightcrawlers are 3$/18 worms though, and theyre muuuuch bigger than CT earthworms, so I just buy them.

Buttercup is sooooo cute~

SydneyA

Reaction score
What a picture perfect Leucy~! It looks like one of the axolotl stock photos that are the top results on google images^-^

Now is definitely the time you wanna be feeding nightcrawlers/worms and pellets. Since you're in the US, I can offer preeeeetty specific advice.

I don't know about petsmart, but petco, if you have one locally, sells Hikari sinking pellets. I have both crab cuisine and the carnivore ones. The crab cuisine pellets have a picture of a lotl on the back, actually, but they're really small compared to the carnivore ones, and I prefer to feed the carnivore ones (just make sure you suck out excess with a turkey baster!)

In addition, Wal-Mart sells live nightcrawlers in the bait section. Lotls tend to prefer nightcrawlers over red wigglers. Lift the lid before you buy though!!! At my local store, there are a lot where the worms are long dead and totally molded over, but you can find some good live ones~ I rinse mine off in a little bowl of water and feed them whole with tweezers. You should cut them up while Buttercup is that small, though!

I feed my adults one large nightcrawler a week and carnivore pellets in the days between and have never had issues keeping them healthy. As yours is still a juvie, you should feed every day or so. Shrimp pellets are the same thing as the crab cuisine I mentioned btw (I feed my shrimp the crab cuisine)

So!! Hikari carnivore pellets and live worms are what I recommend! ^_^ You can dig up your own worms alternatively, but be wary of pesticides and potential parasites. The walmart nightcrawlers are 3$/18 worms though, and theyre muuuuch bigger than CT earthworms, so I just buy them.

Buttercup is sooooo cute~

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for! Now come to my house and cut worms for me.

Klakasharkie

Reaction score

SydneyA

Reaction score
I don't know what it is about earthworms. They are icky. I feed frozen mice to my snake, crickets to my other animals. I think it's something about how they stretchhhhh. Bleh, lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1