Hi everyone

sheldon123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Gill
Hi my name is Gill and I just got my axolotl yesterday, he is called Sheldon. I am very new to this and have read as much as I possibly can about owning and caring for an Axolotl.
Sheldon appears to be happy enough, is only about 3 inches long so would it be about right to think he is around 3 months old? He has fed well both yesterday and today, he had a little bloodworm and 3 pellets ( which he appeared to be chewing lol) The temperature in the tank is 18 degrees and I have only large pebbles on part of themy floor. Plus a large hide and some artificial plants. My filter is very mild and you can hardly see the water moving.
I know this is a stupid question but what could I expect to see if my axolotl was not comfortable in his surroundings i.e water conditions, temp etc?
I put my hand into the tank and he came and investigated my fingers. When I go to the tank and tap on the glass he comes to look at me!!!! Is this normal? Am I doing everything right? feeding enough?
Many thanks in anticipation...just worried about the little fella ha ha:confused:

Hi Gill, welcome to the site!
I'm sure you'll find all the info you need in the Axolotl section. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back