Question: Tank not cycling? Help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I started with 4ppm ammonia in my tank since I heard that's a good amount to cycle a tank for axies, and then a few days later, my ammonia was still at 4ppm but now my nitrite was at 5ppm and my nitrites were at about 80ppm. So I did a partial water change, and my ammonia was at 2ppm and my nitrite was 2ppm but my nitrates were still really high, about 80ppm still. I did use dechlorinated water both times, but I might have added to much dechlorinater. I went away for a few days and when I got back about a week later my levels were the same. So I added some ammonia since I read that you're supposed to keep adding ammonia to help the tank cycle. I added literally one drop to my tank and now my ammonia is at 4ppm and my nitrites are back at 5ppm and my nitrates are still about 80ppm. So I'm not really sure what to do, this all happened over the course of a few weeks. And now I'm scared that I ruined everything and will have to empty my tank and start again. Oh, and if it helps, I use Prime water conditioner, API test kits, the tube ones, ACE janitorial ammonia (ammonium hydroxide), TOM rapids mini cannister filter with carbon fiter pad and ceramic rings, and I have sand, a fish hide, and 2 axie safe plants in my tank. Thanks so much!!

Have a look through the articles to check the cycle method.
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
You add ammonia to feed the bacteria, but when I've cycled tanks using a method suggested on a fish forum, you add the first dose of ammonia, then usually only add more when your numbers drop.
I'm guessing that you are cycling your tank before getting the axolotls.
You haven't ruined everything, and your tank set up sounds sensible.
As I say, check the cycling method, test your water every few days, and only add more ammonia when your test results drop.
Please do check with a more experienced keeper on this forum though, as I say I'm quite new to this and am only going from my own experience.
Don't panic though. :happy:

Ok so should I do a partial water change to get my nitrite lower or...?:confused::confused::confused: I've never cycled a tank before so I'm not sure what to do

Hi, from what i have read about 'fishless cycling' you don't want to let your ammonia or nitrite levels get over 5ppm as you could lose beneficial bacteria. So a partial water change would help if your levels are getting too high. It sounds like your tank is going through the cycle, you just need to keep monitoring your levels and using partial water changes to keep them from getting over 5ppm.

Hope this helps.

Hi there.
Please find below the link to the fishless cycle information that I've used when cycling tanks.
As you have already noted, for axolotls the dose of ammonia should be 4ppm, so just adjust the ammonia dose accordingly.
This is a step-by-step guide, so I would suggest that you do a partial water change, wait a few hours, then test your water. Your water test results should give you an idea as to where you are in the cycle.
FISHLESS CYCLING - HOW TO DO IT | Think Fish Tropical Aquarium Forum
If you have any questions regarding your results please post them and we can have a look at them to see what you need to do next.
Don't forget that by doing a fishless cycle (or axolotl-less in this case) you are doing the very best thing to ensure the most suitable environment for your axolotl when you get it. It can sometimes seem a bit complicated, but the other good thing about the fishless cycle is that if anything goes wrong you are not subjecting your pet to high levels of any harmful chemicals.
Keep up the good work. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back