Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire belly newts and giant rock newt

Punjiljh

Reaction score
I have 2 Chinese fire belly newts a 30/70 land to water set up
I was just wondering if they would accept a giant rock newt (since they grow to around the same size, have the same heat/water conditions and they eat the same food) or any other newt species
I know they say don't mix fire bellys with fish or toads but I'm not personally sure about other newt species
Thank you

Foree

Reaction score
When I was very little, maybe 6 or 7 I had pet rock newt in an enclosure that I now know was far to small for him, I would say that it would be OK as long as you have more than enough room for all of them. How large is your enclosure/tank?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Punjiljh

Reaction score
My tank is 12 gallons 56 litres and here is a picture
image.jpeg

Foree

Reaction score
Hmmmm I'm no expert so take my advice as you'd like but I would get a bigger tank for 3 especially of different species. I have a community tank with turtles, koi, and goldfish and the tank had to be really large so that the fish can get away from the turtles if the turtles decide to try and nip at them.

Punjiljh

Reaction score

Foree

Reaction score
Ohh wow. Yea I'm gonna go with Sith's advice, disregard my previous comments lol.

Punjiljh

Reaction score
Ohh wow. Yea I'm gonna go with Sith's advice, disregard my previous comments lol.

I also took in what you said thank you but I wouldn't be able to get a bigger tank any time soon, I can understand with having enough personal space for the newts would be acceptable however I wouldn't be able to provide it.

sde

Reaction score
What is a rock newt? I have never heard of that name before. I assume it is some kind of Paramesotriton, though.
But no, mixing should not be done with any species, really :)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is a rock newt? I have never heard of that name before. I assume it is some kind of Paramesotriton, though.
But no, mixing should not be done with any species, really :)

Me too! I guess its the latest pet trade name for like you say, Paramesotriton or maybe Pachytriton, but I am curious!

Eta; Maybe it's it's taste in music? ;)

Last edited:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
It's generally Paramesotriton chinensis.
I would advise against mixing different species, each one looks fabulous with out mixing them together.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1