Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Over 3 weeks with no results?? (cycling)

Eoiee

Reaction score
Hi all,

So today is my 23rd day of cycling and I'm really getting stressed out with the whole process. I originally started with 2ppm Ammonia when cycling, I had to wait a few days to receive my test kit but fed the tank a little on those days in between. When I got my test kit the readings were 2ppm Ammonia 0.25 nitrate and 5ppm nitrate. I was surprised to see nitrates but carried on regardless.

However since my first test noting has changed bar a few days ago my ammonia spiked to around 4ppm, I had used fish flakes so it's to assume it just degraded more over time, the nitrites also dropped but I think that was more to do with evaporation as about 1/8 of the water had evaporated with my mesh lid and fans. I asked for advice and was recommended to try bringing ammonia down to 1ppm via water changes which I did on Friday and didn't test again till today (Monday) and it showed 2ppm ammonia 0 nitrites and 5ppm Nitrates. pretty much the exact readings I have been getting since I started 23 days ago:mad:. I have tested tap water and bathroom water numerous times and they all show 0 presence of each, I've also checked expiry on tests but they are in date and are working.

Tonight I brought it down again to 1ppm with a water change to try and get it atleast going and I can then gradually dose up to 4ppm.

I feel like I've done something wrong I know it can take up to 8 weeks to fully cycle but 23 days and not a single drop in ammonia seems ridiculous. And I always have a reading of Nitrates even after the water change as well??:confused:

Should I start the whole thing again and dose liquid ammonia I just bought or is it worth persevering with this?? I'm really at my wits end with this, I completely understand the cycle it just doesn't seem to want to give me any results.

Ph is 7.4-7.6
Temp is always between 18/19 Celsius with my fans.

Also doing this fishless my guys are doing fine in their containers I just want them in their home asap.

Donna001

Reaction score
I understand your frustration there. That is a long time to keep at a cycle without apparently getting the results heading in the right direction.
I know you said you understand the cycle, but I have attached a link to a fishless cycle from a fish forum I use. I have attached it because it is the easiest step-by-step, day-by-day guide to cycling I've seen.
FISHLESS CYCLING - HOW TO DO IT | Think Fish Tropical Aquarium Forum
It might be worth doing a big water change, then following this guide, using 4ppm ammonia for axolotls, rather than 3ppm for fish.
It's awesome that you are keeping your axolotls in a separate tank while you are cycle, no wonder you are frustrated with your results.
I would also suggest that you don't worry about keeping the fans on during the cycle as the bacteria that you are trying to grow will do well at a slightly warmer temperature. When your cycle completes you can bring the temperature down when you do your final water change before putting your axolotls into the tank.
What water conditioner are you using? What filter do you have? Have you tried using one of the filter boost liquids that are supposed to contain bacteria? I know a few people say they don't really work, but it might help.
Let me know how you are getting on and keep posting if and when you have any questions.
Best of luck. :happy:

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
I'm suspecting that it is the bottled bacteria you used at the start of the cycle which has caused the problems, since everything else you have done to cycle the tank is standard procedure and simple.

Hopefully now you have decreased your ammonia to 1.0ppm your tank will begin to cycle, though it is odd that even when you had your ammonia between 2.0-4.0ppm you had no changes in your test results, but as said, it may be the bottled bacteria that was used.

Considering it seems your cycle has not started at all, you could empty the tank, wipe it down and start again so you start fresh.

Also, now that you are using liquid ammonia to dose your tank, you have more control of your ppm of ammonia, compared to using fish flakes/pellets which can create excessive amounts, so this way you can create a steady cycle working your way up to 4.0ppm in increments.

Last edited:

Eoiee

Reaction score
I understand your frustration there. That is a long time to keep at a cycle without apparently getting the results heading in the right direction.
I know you said you understand the cycle, but I have attached a link to a fishless cycle from a fish forum I use. I have attached it because it is the easiest step-by-step, day-by-day guide to cycling I've seen.
FISHLESS CYCLING - HOW TO DO IT | Think Fish Tropical Aquarium Forum
It might be worth doing a big water change, then following this guide, using 4ppm ammonia for axolotls, rather than 3ppm for fish.
It's awesome that you are keeping your axolotls in a separate tank while you are cycle, no wonder you are frustrated with your results.
I would also suggest that you don't worry about keeping the fans on during the cycle as the bacteria that you are trying to grow will do well at a slightly warmer temperature. When your cycle completes you can bring the temperature down when you do your final water change before putting your axolotls into the tank.
What water conditioner are you using? What filter do you have? Have you tried using one of the filter boost liquids that are supposed to contain bacteria? I know a few people say they don't really work, but it might help.
Let me know how you are getting on and keep posting if and when you have any questions.
Best of luck. :happy:

Thanks for your reply, that link looks like a good resource to have regardless. I'm using seachem prime as the dechlorinator, aquael asap filter 500 and I did try using seachem stability at the start but I found it did nothing for me. I'm really thinking of going the starting again root as I feel something is messing it up.

Eoiee

Reaction score
I'm suspecting that it is the bottled bacteria you used at the start of the cycle which has caused the problems, since everything else you have done to cycle the tank is standard procedure and simple.

Hopefully now you have decreased your ammonia to 1.0ppm your tank will begin to cycle, though it is odd that even when you had your ammonia between 2.0-4.0ppm you had no changes in your test results, but as said, it may be the bottled bacteria that was used.

Considering it seems your cycle has not started at all, you could empty the tank, wipe it down and start again so you start fresh.

Also, now that you are using liquid ammonia to dose your tank, you have more control of your ppm of ammonia, compared to using fish flakes/pellets which can create excessive amounts, so this way you can create a steady cycle working your way up to 4.0ppm in increments.

Thanks Chris I'll give it till the weekend to see if there's any signs of progress if not I'll start it again. I'm just hoping it will work out eventually

Donna001

Reaction score
Part of the problem may be the Seachem Prime that you are using as a water conditioner. It is advertised as detoxifying ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, but you need those during the fishless cycle to be able to grow the bacteria that you need.
It may be worth changing to another water conditioner. Just a suggestion.
AxolotlChris is very experienced and I hope that he'll comment on this as well, just so we can double check.
:happy:

Eoiee

Reaction score
Part of the problem may be the Seachem Prime that you are using as a water conditioner. It is advertised as detoxifying ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, but you need those during the fishless cycle to be able to grow the bacteria that you need.
It may be worth changing to another water conditioner. Just a suggestion.
AxolotlChris is very experienced and I hope that he'll comment on this as well, just so we can double check.
:happy:

Oh I was recommended using seachem prime by a few people on the forums, I believed that would just neutralise any presence of them in water like during a water change and not actually prohibit the growth of ammonia etc??

Eoiee

Reaction score
Yes prime does not stop the cycle, it binds the toxins into a non toxic form which is also made available to the feeding bacteria

That's good to know, I just started it again completely. I drained out the old water and wiped everything down bar the filter sponge, and I've left it sitting for 24 hours, the starting results showed 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and Nitrates look like 0 but it also looks a tiny bit orange against the white card it seems like traces of it still?? I'm not sure but it's definitely way more yellow than it was . I was thinking could things I have cause nitrates in water, but I only have a piece of driftwood 3 stones and two terracotta pots and a skull ornament as well as 3 plants in there tank so I don't think they'd add anything to the water??

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
We ruled out via PM that there's no nitrate in the tap water since the OP tested for it.

I've no idea if items in the tank could be a source of nitrate, I doubt it though

Eoiee

Reaction score
Yes I've tested the tap numerous times and it always shows 0 nitrates, the test was pretty much yellow this time so I'm not going to dwell on it too much. I'm going to follow the guide you posted donna as you're completely right it's a lot easier explained. So I'll check the water after 2 to 3 days and see what's happening

Eoiee

Reaction score
A quick update it's been over two weeks since I started again and I've finally had results with cycling, I'm nearing the end now just need to get it to convert in 24 hours! I think the mix of the bottled bacteria and me using food as a source caused the cycle to mess up the first time, so I would recommend using pure ammonia and to avoid the bottled stuff!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!