Twinkle

twinkle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
twinkle
Hi, I just joined, hoping to become an axolot keeper very soon, and trying to learn as much as I can. :happy:

Welcome to the forum, Twinkle! :)
Feel free to ask us any questions, I bet you're so excited to get an Axolotl soon! :)

Thank you for welcoming me, I am afraid that computers are a bit beyond me ! So I might make a few mistakes . Hopefully I will soon have my axolotl , I need to find a way to keep the water flow low, I have a fluval filter.

Thank you for welcoming me, I am afraid that computers are a bit beyond me ! So I might make a few mistakes . Hopefully I will soon have my axolotl , I need to find a way to keep the water flow low, I have a fluval filter.

Is there any way you can get a spray bar for your filter? :) I have an internal TopFin 40 gallon filter and it came with a spray bar attachment so that I can direct the flow of the spray against the tank wall so it isn't so powerful! :)

Hi, thank you for your reply, I am going to the pet shop on Sat where I bought my aquarium from, they said when I bought it , to direct the flow ad you said to the glass, but I think it's still to harsh , I will ask them about a spray bar , that sounds much better. I also thought about sand and some polished pebbles as well as a cave, I won't be putting my axolot in , for a couple of weeks, our water comes from a bore hole , we do not have chlorine , it's like a well, but I still test it .

Hi, thank you for your reply, I am going to the pet shop on Sat where I bought my aquarium from, they said when I bought it , to direct the flow ad you said to the glass, but I think it's still to harsh , I will ask them about a spray bar , that sounds much better. I also thought about sand and some polished pebbles as well as a cave, I won't be putting my axolot in , for a couple of weeks, our water comes from a bore hole , we do not have chlorine , it's like a well, but I still test it .

That sounds wonderful! :) Sand is great to use and if you're going to get some pebbles make sure they're really really big! An Axolotl can (and probably will) ingest anything smaller than its own head, and if it eats a pebble and is unable to pass it, it can lead to some serious health concerns and possibly death! :(
So, sand is the best option or even a bare bottomed tank, and a cave would be a great idea as well! :)

Bless you, how quickly do they grow ? I have an 89litre tank, will that be big enough ? Or will I need to go bigger? Thank you so much for your help ,I won't buy pebbles !

Axolotls usually grow to their full size (approx. 30cm or more) in around a year to 18 months, and it is suggested that you allow a minimum of 40 litres for each adult axolotl, so your 89 litre tank could house 2, but it also depends on the shape of the tank as a larger footprint is better than a tall tank.
3 of mine matured over Easter, they are all boys, and approximately 25cm long. I am currently upgrading them from a 125 litre to a 200 litre tank.
:happy:

Thank you Donna , my tank is 76cms by 31 cms , I am wondering if the floor space will be too small, what do you advice? I would only have one. :)

Thank you so much for your reply , took me ages to work out how to reply back !! :)

If you have the Fluval U2 filter, you can point the nozzle towards the tank wall, then use the dial on the top of the filter to change the flow of the output of water. I set mine like this and there is only water movement on the surface.

Hi Chris, yes I do have a fluval u2. I have put down a piece of slate that I washed and soaked over night, that goes half way ,the rest is aquarium sand . I bought from the pet shop a large stone a nd 4 very big pebbles to stand it on to make a cave , I also attached low light java plants with fishing line , tightish so the axolotl won't .I hope get caught up in. I also bought some polished stones and boiled them on the cooker for 15mins . Haven't put them in yet. I noticed on my filter their is a small coating of sand , as I haven't used sand before any advice about the filter or anything you think I should change ,I would be grateful , as I don't want to make mistakes with my little companion when he moves in ! Thanks Chris ,have a good day .

twinkle

If I use aquarium silicon on ornaments when are they safe to put in the aquarium? Thanks

twinkle

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back