Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Food verity

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
Hi i have 2 Louisiana newts ( notophthalmus viridescens Louisiana). I would like to know what you feed your Louisiana newts. My two will only eat frozen blood worms. I have picked up white worms culture with no success. She wouldn't give them the time of day. My boy tried them and spit it out. I just tried night crawlers they both tried it and both spit it out. They go back and smell it but dont bother trying it again. They did eat meal worms when i first got them. I was told they are no good for newts so i stopped feeding meal worms. They eat there own children so i wouldn't think they could be so picky:eek:. So if you have Louisiana newts i would like to know what you feed them?

Methos5K

Reaction score
My Florida peninsula newts love the ZooMed Aquatic newt pellets. They beg for them! Live blackworms are the real best live food for newts. Order a worm keeper from California blackworms, they stay alive in the refrigerator for a long time.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Hi Cliff, in my experience newts which are not fed a varied diet when young, tend to not want one when they're older. I'd ask my self why does one need to supply a varied diet and then work around that eg the level of daily protein intake etc and how can I supply it. Well fed animals tend to be more picky too. I have salamanders which prefer crickets. Being conscious of the need for a varied diet (if crickets can't provide this dusted with goodness knows what these days) I'll withhold feeding until I know they're hungry eg they don't spend 24 hours hidden a way, and then I'll supply worms, wax moth larvae etc.

Just out of interest you might like to look at this site.
AmphibiaWeb - Notophthalmus viridescens

CatSpit

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if you cut up the night crawlers to feed your newts? I find that I have to feed cut pieces to my newts as they tend to spit out anything that's too long and can easily 'give up' on eating them after that.

Aron1234

Reaction score
Try smaller earth worms from pesticide free areas in your yard and if those are to big still cut them up

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
Thanks for the response everyone . I did cut them up about 1/2 inch. One night crawler cut about 1/2 inch is probably like feeding a dozen frozen blood worms at once. I don't think they eat a dozen between the two of them. I will have to try again i think bunny could be right. They are offered blood worms every other day. They could be over feed. I wanted to try black worms after i saw how big night crawlers are. Just not sold in stores around me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1