CO2 and axolotls.

Waenara

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello!
So I am not exactly new to axolotls I own 5 and have been caring for axies for about two years. I decided to do a aquascape with their new tank I'm setting up (55. Gallon long) but I was wondering about putting in a CO2 filter into the water, to try to make the plants grow better. I love using only real flora because it helps clean the water but I don't want to use anything that might harm my babies. Any ideas or experience with CO2 and axolotls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello waenara, I keep Amazonian tetras in a 2m tank which is aquascaped. I use CO2 not for the benefit of the plants, as the fish do enough there, but in order to maintain the water on the acidic side of neutral. CO2 dissolves to produce a weak solution of carbonic acid. The canister switches on automatically and is monitored by a pH probe which needs calibrating with standardised buffer solutions. You axolotls will produce enough CO2 for the plants (plants produce it too, especially noticeable after dark). I personally wouldn't invest in this if I were not wanting to maintain the pH even though my interest is in the plant growth and health. I think more importantly is correct lighting. Your plants will utilise products of the nitrogen cycle produced by your animals.

This gives a back ground but remember people will want to sell you something you don't need. Why not have a go without the unit first?

https://fishkeeper.co.uk/post/introduction-to-the-planted-aquarium

Thank you very much, I will try without the CO2. I really appreciate the help. ^_^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back