Question: I just got a new axolotl and I need some advice

Axolotl1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!! I got my first axolotl just a few days ago and I'm looking for some help on a few different topics.

1. My axolotl is a 6 inch long leucistic male. I bought him from a fish store near me just a few days ago. I have noticed that his gills are very short ( 1/2 cm) and have a very light pink colour. I'm assuming this is because he wasn't looked after very well in the fish store. My question is with the proper care will his gills grow?

7a33865e79ce19292d205860b965b066.jpg
7962261efc12cf68be9edc39e109b8c9.jpg

2. My second question is to do with the tank. I have him in a 15 gallon 2ft long aquarium with a low flow filter, sand substrate, plants all around the sides and a piece of drift wood in the center. I'm concerned that with all the plants and drift wood that I haven't given him enough space to swim and walk. I have been looking for some sort of hide for him but I haven't found anything. What make good hides for axolotls and do I need to remove some of my tank contents to give him more space?

3. My final question is to do with his behavior. I know I have only had him for 5 days so he may still be nervous, but he never swims. He spends all day either hiding under the filter, uprooting my plants by hiding in them or hiding under the drift wood. The only time he swims is when about 3-5 times a day he swims up to the top of the tank takes a gulp of air and comes back down and hides. Why do you think he is behaving like this and what can I do to help?

05318db0a14f594ce5b75888ddc96a1d.jpg

Thank you so much in advance for anyone willing to help,
Kind regards, Rachael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Rachael and welcome to the forum. :happy:
His gills are short and I've seen similar in axolotls at a place near here. I would expect the gills to grow back with good quality water, food & care. How are your water parameters at the moment?
His tank set up should be fine. The tank is big enough and he has space. It is good to have a hide as well as the wood. There are lots of types that can be used, so have a look on Amazon or ebay and anything that is suitable to go into water and big enough for your axolotl (and doesn't have sharp edges) will be fine. I Have 6 axies across 2 tanks and they have plastic/resin hides shaped like logs and rock formations.
I like the wood and plants in your tank. If you put a hide in you could rearrange slightly, but my fellas also like hiding in the plants for cover.
He is probably still settling in and finding his was around. He may also be more active at night. Perhaps a hide and some more plants will help with this, as the cover will make him feel more secure.
What are you feeding him and is he feeding well?
Sometimes it takes a while for them to settle into a new tank, but give him time. :D

Hi Rachael and welcome to the forum. :happy:
His gills are short and I've seen similar in axolotls at a place near here. I would expect the gills to grow back with good quality water, food & care. How are your water parameters at the moment?
His tank set up should be fine. The tank is big enough and he has space. It is good to have a hide as well as the wood. There are lots of types that can be used, so have a look on Amazon or ebay and anything that is suitable to go into water and big enough for your axolotl (and doesn't have sharp edges) will be fine. I Have 6 axies across 2 tanks and they have plastic/resin hides shaped like logs and rock formations.
I like the wood and plants in your tank. If you put a hide in you could rearrange slightly, but my fellas also like hiding in the plants for cover.
He is probably still settling in and finding his was around. He may also be more active at night. Perhaps a hide and some more plants will help with this, as the cover will make him feel more secure.
What are you feeding him and is he feeding well?
Sometimes it takes a while for them to settle into a new tank, but give him time. :D

Hi Donna thanks so much for your help.

I'm feeding him frozen blood worms and axolotls pellets. He likes the worms but not the pellets but I think that it to be expected.

Kind regards, Rachael

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back