Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Murky water/Ammonia testing kits?

littleaxolover

Reaction score
I recently got a new leucistic axolotl about a month ago and for the longest time,his water was clear and perfectly fine. Multiple people recommended that we buy a sponge filter for his tank,which we had ordered a couple weeks in advance to his arrival.

When we put the filter in (we cleaned it as the instructions suggested),the water was fine for a few days,but a bout a week after,everything started to become really foggy. It got to the point where I can barely see him in his tank now. I was wondering if anyone might know how to get rid of this problem? Maybe getting him a different filter? His water is filtered out and replaced with bottled drinking water with added drops of AquaSafe just in case.

I was also wondering what kits were recommended to test his ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate levels? I've seen several brands at the pet and aquarium stores,but wanted to ask what everyone here prefers.

I'll try to attach pictures of what his tank water looked like before and after the water became foggy.

Attachments

• IMG_5074.jpg
    IMG_5074.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 121

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
Hi there! ☺️
The cloudiness in your tank could be due to a bacterial bloom, this often happens during the cycling process!
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the bacterial cycle that needs to be present in an Axolotl aquarium, I'd suggest to google it if you aren't sure what I'm talking about! ?
I personally only use the API master test kit, it gives accurate readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph levels! The paper strips are cheaper but they're not nearly as accurate, so I'd really recommend the liquid testing kit!

littleaxolover

Reaction score
Thank you! I actually went out today and bought the kit to test his water. Any suggestions on how to lower the levels if they're a little high?

CatSpit

Reaction score
If the tests show levels of ammonia, nitrite or high nitrates, a partial water change with conditioned water will help to reduce these. Keep up with the testing to see how often you need to do partial water changes to keep your levels down. Never remove all of the water from your aquarium as that will mean it has to start "cycling" all over again, just do partial water changes. I usually change out about 20% of my water with new conditioned water as needed.

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
If your tank isn't fully cycled . I would do 20% water changes daily in till fully cycled. If your not using chemicals to help cycle tank. Plus i use airline tubing to sighon water in and out of aquarium. Less water moment less stress. :D

littleaxolover

Reaction score
I do siphon his water to help clean out his tank. I'll try changing the water daily to see if that reduces the ammonia. Thank you for suggestions!

Donna001

Reaction score
20% water changes until your tan has finished cycling (several weeks) is the best way forward.
Please keep us posted on your progress. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1